• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

humidity question

tommymamba

i know this is not a very big problem for cornsnakes but i was wondering what's the minimum % of humidity you should have. i always got about 40 % is this good? my snakes are shedding good but i'm just asking cause i want to learn?

I keep mine around 45-55% humidity and when they are shedding, I bump it up to 65-70%.

I hope that helps.

thank you, that helps :) i try to do that to by spraying the cage with water. then the humidity is about 70% but in 15 minutes it's back down to 35 - 40% do you know what the problem is?

What's your substrate and how do you heat it?
As long as your snakes have good sheds I wouldn't stress about it.
When I first got my snake I had her in a glass tank. I didn't know it but the humidity stayed at about 30-35%. When I got a hygrometer and was able to read the humidity I started misting her after her blue cleared. My Sweetie saw that once and asked; "why do you do that?". I told her; "to make sure she sheds well". She said;"she always has?"......yeah, good point, no more mist.

i use repti bark as substrate and heat it with a heatpad under the tank on one side and a heatspot on the same side. on the other side no heating source only an uva spot but this one doesn't create heat. (just for the day night cicle)

I also use Reptibark, it seems to hold the humidity well. When I change it the humidity is high (about 50-60%, up to 65%) for about a week or so then it starts dropping, but it always evens out at around 40-50%. I've seen it go as low as 35% when we had the A.C. on and outside humidity was low (doesn't happen much in Northern VA).
Still I would say don't sweat it, just keep an eye on it. I don't worry about it but I do read it just in case. Just like the temp, I know they're going to be the same when I check it everyday, but I still check.

If I have a problem shedder I get an appropriate size sterilite, put some damp moss in and cut a hole in the side.You will have to re dampen it enery 4-5 days.
The snake can go in if it needs more humidity but the only ones that I see use it often are the ball pythons. I figure it is easier to create a small high humidity area inside the enclosure than it is to make high humidity in the entire thing.

thank you, i do have an exo-terra hiding cave with damp moss and she always sleeps in thereso that's fine thank you again for the help

As I live in the tropics the humidity in my tanks is always quite high ( 70 -80 % ) year round. I wonder whether this will that have any negative impact on my snakes in the long term......

Olaf

Back