• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity / Shed

GUS1

Hi, Just wondering if lower humidity on one side of the viv would cause a shed problem. The reason I'm asking is because my corn shed not long ago but it came off in sections / pieces. I also mist the tank when he show signs of starting to shed. The humidity on the cool side of viv is around 50-60 percent at all times but it always swings from 35-50 percent on the warm side of the viv. Is there anything I can do to help regulate the humidity more on the warm side? My viv is 75 gallons, so I'm wondering if I may need to add another water dish or something to help stabilize the humidity. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks..

Did the shed all come off at once? A bad shed would be if patches were left on the snake, such as eye caps or tail tip, which you had to help remove afterwards.

If a shed comes off all at once but in pieces, that's actually a successful shed. They're very damp and tear easily in the process.

If you had to assist, then try putting a humid hide in with the snake when it next goes blue. Some won't use them, but all of mine appreciate somewhere damp to sit in for a few days, if their last shed caused a problem. That usually helps.

All the skin did come off. I just thought there may be a problem because of the way it came off his body ( not one piece ). I guess I'm worrying for nothing. It just seemed like a possible problem that I wanted to correct before the next shed.

As long as there is no skin left on the body I would consider it a good shed, though one piece sheds are nice :)
A humid hide like bitsy suggested might get you one of those nice single piece sheds.

I guess I'm worrying for nothing.

lol...no no my friend! you worry because you care. Snakes are easy pets in all the common ways; only having to feed once a week and such, but in other ways they're harder...its harder to know whats "normal" when you have a pet that perhaps not everyone else around you has. I did ALOT of "worrying for nothing" in the beginning, and honestly? I still do alot of that the SECOND that one of the snakes does something out of the ordinary. For example, my anery female started climbing up to the top of her viv, and sleeping on top of a plant like a bird in a tree...Very strange. I was worried something was wrong (temps, substrate, something!) but everything was/is normal. She's just found a fun spot. I find this kind of worry to be kind of educational...I find when I'm freaked out about the snakes, i pay much closer attention to everything they do.
Don't feel badly for worrying, its something any good keeper experiances. :D

With a 75 gallon tank, I see no reason why you should not put a water bowl on the warm side also to get the humidity up on that end of the tank. Just be care you do not raise the humidity to high.

I would also put in a humid hide like Bitsy said.

Fatman

I don't want to cause any problems with excessive humidity. I just thought the humidity should remain the same through out the tank. Is it better to have a humid hide in there all the time or just during shed time? I could make one and replace his current hide if it helps to keep him healthier.

You can do it either way leave it in all the time or only put it in when your snake gets ready to shed that is up to you and your snake.

Fatman

humidity problems

hi im a first time snake owner and i am having a bit of difficulty with the humidity in my tank it is reading 72% which i have been told that isnt healthy for my corn i have cleaned out my tank and put in fresh bedding and put in a smaller water bowl to see if it helps but im still having no luck , i was told to mount a fan to the lid of my tank and run air through it and the humidity will go down which it does but after a while it goes back up to 72 % and more plz help cause i dnt want my corn 2 become ill any advise will be great

Hi marck - welcome!

A few questions/suggestions which might help you:

Is the water bowl on the cool side of the floor? Moving it away from the heated area usually helps.

Also, what sort of bedding do you use? Some of the bark chip-types can take a few days to dry out when you first put it into a heated tank. After that, it's fine.

Is the tank near or next to a window, in direct sunlight? That can cause increased evaporation of the water and higher humidity. We usually recommend that tanks are kep out of direct sunlight as this makes the temperatures more difficult to control and they can overheat.

Apart from that, maybe just double-check the temps in the tank? Temps that are too high from the heat source that you use, could also cause increased evaporation of the driking water. The floor at the cool side needs to be 70-75 degrees, with the floor at the warm side around 85 degrees. Make sure that you're measuring the temp on the floor (because that's where the snake is), with a digital thermometer rather than a plastic dial or carboard strip type thermometer - these can be very inaccurate.

Hope that helps - let us know how it goes.

Marck - how are you reading the humidity. If it is one of those cheap dail types that stick to the wall of the cage the reading maybe way off from what is the correct humidity.

I just thought the humidity should remain the same through out the tank.

Why? In the wild a snake would have access to a wide range of humidity, just as it would have access to a wide range of temperatures. Snakes seek out the proper temperature and humidity at particular times. Just as there's no "one size fits all" temperature (meaning snakes do best when they have a gradient), there's no "one size fits all" humidity. Snakes that have access to a humidity gradient will use it. So a humidity hidebox is a good idea - especially if your snake is having shedding problems.

One of my baby Rubber Boas in a humidity hidebox:
IMG_2939.jpg

The humidity will probably fall as it settles down. As long as the substrate is not wet to the touch then sitting at 72% for a few days as it dries out is okay.

Back