• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity

falconier

I'm using plastic wal mart type bins for my vivs with flex heat tape underneath for warmth and typicaly my temps are around 85ish in each bin. I noticed this morning that in one viv their is moisture in the bin...around the water bowl and was wondering if this means that the humidity lvl may be getting alittle to high?
Thanks for the replies in advance.

The whole bin is 85F!? Or just the warm spot? Because that sounds quite high!
You really need a heat gradient for your snakes (if you don't already), that varies by about 10F - so for example, 75F on one side, 85F one the other. If I am misunderstanding, I apologize.

You have a plastic bin with water and high heat, so it will cause condensation. You should have a hygrometer to see what the humidity is in the bins to know if it is too high (or too low). You can always have more air flow in the tubs to make the humidity escape (ie. more air holes).

I seriously believe you should turn down the heat strips lower if the entire tub is at 85F. Personally, my corn only goes to her warm side once in awhile to digest, and most of the time she prefers her cool side, which is around 75F.
If you are unable to have a heat gradient right now, I would suggest lowering the temp by 5F or so. When I was waiting on my thermostat to come in the mail I had my tank at 78-80FF, and that was enough for Syd to digest and be comfortable and herself.

Good luck!

Could also have been the snake splashing about or tipping it a bit - especially going into shed some like the extra moisture...

I lowered it a little for now to see what happens when the temp stabilizes... I dont have a heat gun to shoot the diffrent spots in the bins so im using an out/indoor temp prob sticking inside the bins( i just swap them to each other) Everywhere I read it says warm side 80-85 cool 70-75 degrees...that a big diffrence in temps in a 25qt bin...lol...i might need to replace the heat strip more to a corner then the center .

i might need to replace the heat strip more to a corner then the center .

There's the problem: the UTH should only be under 1/3 of the viv, only at one end, not in the middle. Having it in the middle will warm the whole viv.

Try it at just one end and then retake the temps and adjust from there.

There's the problem: the UTH should only be under 1/3 of the viv, only at one end, not in the middle. Having it in the middle will warm the whole viv.

Try it at just one end and then retake the temps and adjust from there.
Thx Smigon.... I will.. i didnt realize the whole viv would warm up up like that:noevil:

I get condensation like that if there's been a water bowl spill. Or _sometimes_ in shoeboxes, in a rack, that have big water bowls, that the heat is set at 84ish, and I have the AC really cold.

Back