• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity!

Ocelot

I've been having a big problem with humidity for the past few months. My viv is extremely humid, between 80% and 90% all the time!

I've done everything. I've drilled loads of holes in the back of the viv for ventilation and that didn't work....

I have a digital hygrometer and an analogue one, the digital says its around 85% humidity while the other one says about 60%.

I don't know what to do because I'm worried that it's not good for my snake. :(

how bigs your water bowl and do you have real plants or fake plants (if any) becuase if there reall then that will bring the humidity up, and do you mist your cage or just leave it? and what type of substrate do you use?

I just changed the water bowl to a larger one yesterday, but before that I had a tiny bowl and it was still the same. I don't have real plants and the last time I misted was over two months ago.....

Well you might have to switch to a fish tank style if you can get it down below 85%. But first check your gauges again. Then check the room humidity to see what the difference is, if any, and outside humidity level. Ninety is almost like rain so something sounds strange here. Can you move the Viv to another room with lower humidity??? Check different room for their levels. Also you could think about a dehumidifier too.

Are you seeing condensation inside the viv? If its actuly 90%, you should. Also, where is your digital hygometer located at inside the viv and do youknow where the sensor is at on it?
Reason i ask, is that the sensors on those are sometimes in differnt places. On mine its on the lower rear left cornor. For me to get a real accurate reading, i have to place the hygrometer in the center of the tank facing downwards for a few minutes.

I'm not quite sure where the sensor is, but my hyrgrometer is sort of a clock, temperature thing aswell, flat. I see a hole on the back, so thats probably it. The hygrometer is right at the front of the viv standing up. The analogue one is stuck to the back wall with all the holes....

There is absolutley no condensation on the glass, maybe the room is too humid. How can I reduce humidity in the room without expense?

What does the humidity read at when you take the hygometer out of the viv? That maybe able to tell you if it is infact your room. However, id think that 85-90% humidity in your room would be pretty uncomfortable and you would have noticed by now. If it is your room, just open a window and a door to make some ventilation and turn on a fan.

Could it be possible that there is some moisture build up inside your hygometer? Maybe a bit of water got trapped when you misted your tank or a had small water dish spill? If thats the case just take apart the hygometer (as much of it as you can without breaking it) and let it air dry for an afternoon.
Take it out and play with it a bit. Move it around different rooms of your house or outside and see what it reads.

Well I left it in my room for about 3 hours and it was still around 80%, but I can't imagine why my room would be like that, my windows are always open!

Where do you live?
The humidity in my viv went up to around 72 for the past days since it's getting hotter and more humid where I live. I live in SW Florida.
If you have your windows open it might make your room more humid, this will create even more humidity in your viv.

I live in Ireland so its not humid....

I tried putting more holes in the top of the viv and I got a fan and put it in the viv for a few minutes to see if that works....

What do you use on the bottom of the cage?? If you dont use newspaper you could try doing that, this would get the humidity down..

Back