• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

humidity

is too much humidity a bad thing? just wondering cos i keep cypher in a plastic tub at the moment because hes still small and he can get out of the viv. but the humidity rose to 70 earlier. is this bad? please help.

Short bursts of high humidity shouldn't pose a problem, and can even be beneficial, especially during the shedding cycle.

However, long-term periods of high humidity can cause health problems such as fungal infections, scale rot and even the onset of a respiratory infection.

You should be aiming for 40 - 50% relative humidity on a consistent basis, but you should raise it when he's in shed (by creating moist hides using sphagnum moss, misting etc.)

If you want to reduce humidity, you can melt/drill some more holes in the tub to increase ventilation, you can make sure that the water bowl is in the coolest part of the tank, and you can use substrates that don't hold humidity very well (e.g. paper towels, newspaper etc.)

All the best

David

theres pretty much no room. left in the lid for air holes, the substrate is paper towels and the water bowl is on the cold side. yet the humidity has risen to 70 again. HELP ME!!!!

Have you tried drilling little holes around the top of the sides? And take a breath and calm down, it's a fixable problem and freaking out won't help you a bit.

ill try that in the morning. n ok will do. just i dont want him getting ill or anything with him being my first snake.

Back