• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity

northwestcorns

As some of you know I recently moved to WA from VA. Before that I was in FL and before that, MS. I never had to worry about humidity, even indoors.

Here is the great Northwest, I have a small building that is set up for my snakes. I call it the Herp Hut. I have the temperature and lighting regulated. the ambient temp in there is about 72 degrees. The tanks are all set up with UTH and the tanks all have fluorescent (non heat emitting) lighting set up on timers that are synced with the seasonal lighting in FL. It reminds me of the reptile exhibit at the zoo, I love that exhibit.

I have a humidity situation here though. Despite being such a wet state it is VERY dry. Almost desert dry as a matter of fact, even on rainy days it dries out very quickly once the rain stops. Right now I mist regularly, but I have a humidifier set up I would like to install. What humidity level would be the best? Florida went anywhere from 40-99%. I don't want to make it tropical, but I'd like it to be pretty self-sustaining in case I go out of town or deploy.

I live in Utah and its dry during winter,fall, summer........all year long for the most part. I keep the tanks mosture from 40 to 60 by spraying them twice a week, and since its getting freezing cold i had to get a piece of glass and seal it to my tank screen cover to maitain moisture and keep the air warm. Hope it helps! :)

Corn snakes don't necessarily need constant humidity to survive. They basically only need humidity when they are in their shedding cycle, which help loosen their skin. Do you know that the humidity is around you in your house? I keep my snakes' tanks humidity the same as the air around the room. I don't mist their tanks and they're completely fine. They even shed in full complete pieces :)

But to answer your question, humidity of about 40-60% would be okay for day to day. Just remember too high humidity could also cause respirtory problems for your snakes....

I'm in Colorado and it's dry here too. I've found that my snake's viv stays at a humidity of around 40-60 just being sprayed two or three times a week. Occasionally it'll get really dry and I'll have to spray more often (I also spray more when my snake is shedding) but that seems to work for the most part. I've never had any problems.

Back