• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidity

8292tom

The humidity in my viv stays around 25- 30%. I want to raise it to 40-50%, as I've seen recommended here. I only use a UTH, no bulbs of any kind. I think it's because it's cold here in Pa. and with the forced air heat it's drying things out. I mist twice a day, but worry that the substrata will grow bacteria if I keep wetting it down. Is there a safer way to raise the humidity ? Steve-o just had a perfect shed on Wednesday, but spent 48 hrs. in his humid hide first. Could I leave his humid hide in there all the time ?

Have you considered humidifying the whole room? Decent humidifiers will usually be $40 or more. You don't need to spend $300. Do a little internet research to determine if you want cold or hot mist (some have both) as well as comparing features. I don't like cold mist unless its ultrasonic; too much maintenance.

The humidity in my viv stays around 25- 30%. I want to raise it to 40-50%, as I've seen recommended here. I only use a UTH, no bulbs of any kind. I think it's because it's cold here in Pa. and with the forced air heat it's drying things out. I mist twice a day, but worry that the substrata will grow bacteria if I keep wetting it down. Is there a safer way to raise the humidity ? Steve-o just had a perfect shed on Wednesday, but spent 48 hrs. in his humid hide first. Could I leave his humid hide in there all the time ?
If Steve-o likes his humid hide, consider keeping it :)

A very easy way of raising the humidity permanently, though, is moving the water bowl closer to the warm side of the viv. Give it a try and watch what happens!

The only time you *need* higher humidity is during a shed cycle. All my corns are kept at normal room humidity and get a humid hide if I notice they are blue. 9 corns in 3 years and I have only had 1 bad shed.

Thanks fellow snake lovers. I think I will leave his humid hide for him and humidify the whole room. I am kind of dried out myself.

Back