• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Humidty level in cage

connie

This is all new to me!! I have a baby rosy boa who is supposed to have very low humidity and now a baby corn that is supposed to have humidity in his cage. they are both kept in the same room. HOW do I raise the humidity in the corns cage? It is a 20 gallon tank with aspen on top of a piece of indoor outdoor carpet. The hot end is about 85 degrees and the cool end 73 right now. I have a bowl of water in the cage, but the humidity gauge is regestering 0% humidity. What do I need to do? What percentage should the humidity be? Thanks SOOOOO much. connie, balboa (the rosy boa) and Stalker (the corn snake) :)

More than likely, your humidity gauge is malfunctioning. Normal room humidity (usually 20 to 50%) is fine for the majority of the time. When your snake goes into blue phase, signaling an approaching shed, you can provide a moist box inside of your viv (if your normal humidity is less than 50%). Hope this helps.

If it reads absolutely zero humidity I would think that it may not be working properly. I have a rather small water bowl and aspen bedding and easily get 40-50%. You can always go to a larger bowl, move the bowl more towards the warm end, or cover part of the top of the tank (if using a screen lid).

connie said:
This is all new to me!! I have a baby rosy boa who is supposed to have very low humidity and now a baby corn that is supposed to have humidity in his cage. they are both kept in the same room. HOW do I raise the humidity in the corns cage? It is a 20 gallon tank with aspen on top of a piece of indoor outdoor carpet. The hot end is about 85 degrees and the cool end 73 right now. I have a bowl of water in the cage, but the humidity gauge is regestering 0% humidity. What do I need to do? What percentage should the humidity be? Thanks SOOOOO much. connie, balboa (the rosy boa) and Stalker (the corn snake) :)

Well, I'd seriously question the accuracy of your hygrometer. Zero percent? That sounds highly unlikely.

Corn:

Your temps sound good in your corn tank. I don't really understand the carpet under the aspen situation. Carpet is a bacterial haven. The best way to regulate humidity in a tank is through water bowl placement and ventilation control. Placing the water bowl over your UTH (or near it) will raise humidity as will blocking some of the screen top. You should avoid using overhead incandescent or other heat-producing bulbs; they dry the tank considerably. 50-80% humidity is fine. My tubs are usually in the 70s for humidity, and all my corns' sheds are perfect.

Rosy:

For my rosy, I use a 60 watt incandescent over the hot side during the day. That sufficiently dries the tank (15 gal.). In fact, it over-dries it in my opinion, so I have a handtowel covering the screen mesh above the water bowl on the cool side. I've had 16 years of perfect sheds, zero respiratory problems, and aggressive feeding with this arrangement-- and never a refusal or regurge. He's so consistently trouble-free, that I haven't monitored his temps or humidity in many years. Wish I could say the same for all of my corns.

I have the carpet under the aspen to keep the snake from burrowing down directly on top of the under tank heat source. I do have a black bulb for heating purposes. If I remove that and have only the under tank heat source will the warm side stay warm enough? Like i said eariler this is new to me and I want to do what is best...I just don't know what that is. I can remove the carpet and maybe put a couple layers newpaper on top of the tank heater. Would this be better? Thanks connie

connie said:
I have the carpet under the aspen to keep the snake from burrowing down directly on top of the under tank heat source.

I think you'd be better off losing the carpet, and using something between the heat source and the glass for heat distribution/reduction.

I do have a black bulb for heating purposes. If I remove that and have only the under tank heat source will the warm side stay warm enough?

You'd have to monitor the temps to be sure. I think they'll be all right. If you have to keep the lamp, then you'll want to block as much ventilation as you can, and place the water in the warm side.

Like i said eariler this is new to me and I want to do what is best...I just don't know what that is. I can remove the carpet and maybe put a couple layers newpaper on top of the tank heater. Would this be better? Thanks connie

I would use Plexiglas or thin tile between the uth and the tank, and only aspen in the tank.

Thanks for the advice....When I feed them on Friday, I will take out the carpet and put something over the heat source. I am going to the pet store tomorrow to buy a new hygrometer. Connie

connie said:
I bought a new hygrometer. and the humidity is reading 40%. Is this okay? Connie

That should be fine, but if you want to raise it, remember the ventilation and water bowl placement options. Your baby corn is probably within a few weeks of a shed anyway. A good shed will be the true indicator of appropriate humidity levels. :)

Back