• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

humidy problem....

lurycnitsuj

So, I just got my baby albino corn on sunday and her humidity is too high. I have a 55 gallon aquarium in my room for my turtle so my room is more humid than most as it is. During the day, when her light is on the humidity is around 55% but at night when I turn her light off the humidity sky rockets to about 70% at times. So, i have a couple of questions...

1. is this humidity range in the danger zone?
2. If so, what are some tips on lowering the humidity (i already have a dehumidifier in the room)
3. (not related to humidity) what is the absolute best substrate for corn snakes, because ive heard that aspen bedding is bad, ive heard that the repti bark is bad, and ive heard that the aspen bedding is good, and the repti bark is good, so i really dont know what to think.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and I will be talking to you guys much much more now.

Justin

what is the humidity in your room? is it the same as the tank?

any moss/soil(eco earth etc) that is damp/wet will add to the humidity.

is it wet were you are? snow melting/rain etc?

heat lights do dry out the tank which is why it goes down during the day.

so many things can effect the humidity, one thing to check would be if the tank is higher/lower then your room humidity, if the tank is higher then something(moss/bedding etc) in her tank is raising it.
if it is wet in your area then it can effect the humidity.

some care sheets call for 50% humidity so she should be alright, just check to see if you can find if there is an extra humidity source.

i use aspen or paper towel, i prefer paper towel for cleaning, but aspen looks nicer so a couple of tanks are still on aspen...for now anyway.

Why would anyone say aspen is bad? That's not true.

I guess I wouldn't get in a panick about it. You could make sure her water bowl is away from her UTH. In the natural habitat of Florida, humidity outside will get up into the 90's at night, and drop into the 50's during the day. Today it's ranging from 96% to 54%.

thank you! I live in chicago so it is starting to warm up so the humidity is a bit higher than usual. Once the temps outside are continuously warm, I will have my windows and fan going at all times, this will help air out my room and hopefully lower the humidity.

So, is the repti-bark bad? should i switch? I know it holds a little bit more humidity than the aspen bedding, but other than that is it bad?

Repti Bark will definitely keep the humidity higher. It is also known to often carry wood mites. Not necessarily bad, but not exactly pleasing to see either =)

Aspen is lighter and seems to promote burrowing, repti bark is a bit heavy and sharp edged for easy burrowing.

I tried repti bark with my first snake, and I never used up the bag as I immediately changed to aspen. Aspen is MUCH cheaper as well, if you get the largest bale possible.

everyone seems to be having a problem with too low humdity but seem like im the only one who humdity is high and having a problem rbring it down!! :\

Back