• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

hungry every 4 days?

oldsnow

Hrmmmm........
Thumper has been cruising his viv quite a bit lately once we turn down the house lights. He didn't do this before, but he is looking at me like I'm food every evening when I stick my hand in the viv to get him out for medicine.

I recently had to put a new dimmer on his UTH and it stayed a little cool for a week or so while I was playing it safe on the UTH adjustments.

Is he warmed back up and thinking he just did a week long brumation and just as love on his mind? Or could he possibly be just that hungry? I fed him around every 14 days before and kept the same schedule since he was fed a few days before my old dimmer went out, and was fed again once the viv was back up to operating temps, and he NEVER acted like this in between feeds. I'm guessing its just the fact that its springtime.

Any help?

Maybe he is trying to gain weight before the breeding-season-not-eating phase? This is very theoretical as I am a noobie....

He has never been bred to my knowledge, although I did get him full-grown, but I'm thinking along the same lines. Breeding season would be natural for him whether he's been bred or not, right? So assuming he knows what time of year it is he would prefer to eat more while he can knowing that he would possibly lose interest in food while he was hunting down a female?

He's close to 1000g now so I'm not really worried about him missing what he thinks should be meal time, just don't want him to strike and connect while my wife is there waiting to hold him while I give meds orally, because I know it will scare her away from ever wanting to hold one again.

He has never been bred to my knowledge, although I did get him full-grown, but I'm thinking along the same lines. Breeding season would be natural for him whether he's been bred or not, right? So assuming he knows what time of year it is he would prefer to eat more while he can knowing that he would possibly lose interest in food while he was hunting down a female?

That's what I gather, yeah, that they ~can~ tell it's time whether they have bred or not.

Thanks Betsy, at least I'm not the only one thinking this way, so if some of the experienced gurus see this and say I'm completely wrong I won't be the only one ;)

I would bet he is just out cruising for chicks. I would feed an animal of that size every 14-21 days. Don't give in to his puppy dog eyes...

I would feed an animal of that size every 14-21 days. Don't give in to his puppy dog eyes...
I agree. Beware that hunting behaviour does not equal hunger or even a physiological need for food.

Corns are programmed to hunt all the time in the wild, because they don't know when they'll next find food. In captivity, we guarantee their next meal. Basically, any time they're not digesting, shedding or looking for a mate, they'll probably be hunting. Feeding "on demand" will lead to a very chubby critter!

You have to stick to the feeding schedule that you know they need - not the one they think they need.

However, in an adult male at this time of year? I'm guessing this is more likely to be the answer...
I would bet he is just out cruising for chicks.
Honestly, if he had a convertible, he'd be driving round that tank with the roof down, one hand on the wheel and stopping to chat with all the laydeez!

Honestly, if he had a convertible, he'd be driving round that tank with the roof down, one hand on the wheel and stopping to chat with all the laydeez!

:dancer:

Best visual ever.

I'd say looking for ladies if I had to take a guess. He knows you just build that hatchling rack system and he's looking for a girl to help fill it.

Wouldn't that be a "corn-vertible?" :sidestep:

Too right, bitsy! He's probably looking for love.

Oldsnow, on another note from your OP, I'm wondering about your concern that the snake might bite when a hand comes into the viv. Has he done this in the past? Where and how is he being fed?

He has only struck once to my knowledge, but that incident was due to my stupidity.... I didn't come at him head first and I believe I just startled him. I'm not too worried about a bite, as I've been grabbed by wild rat and garters and they don't hurt, just would like it to not happen with my wife around because it would scare her away from snakes. He is fed outside the viv in a 32 qt. sterilite so I'm thinking he relates my hand coming in the viv to food, well either food or a syringe getting pushed down his throat (he's on oral Baytril right now) and doesn't like the fact.

You're right, it doesn't really hurt if they do connect with a strike. He may be defensive about the syringe. (I might be too, in his place!) I totally get what you mean about not wanting to scare your wife out of the snake-keeping. That would be the situation in reverse at my house. If you're feeding outside the viv, it's highly unlikely that he's relate your hand to food unless he picked up a food scent from you.

Keep doing what's right for your snake. And your wife! :wink:

Yep..... Make her leave the room until he is out of the tank and the bandaid and neosporin are applied ;)

Back