• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hypo Butters or Amel Ambers ????

ultimatecorns

Had these pop up from breeding a pair of Ambers.
33% of the clutch looks to have amel in them

DSC05841.JPG

half the clutch hatched
DSC05844.JPG

DSC05837.JPG

a bit blurry, but you get the idea
DSC05840.JPG

Is there a generally accepted name for hypo butters or amel ambers?

Thanks
Tim B

Wow, lucky you!

I'd say either name communicates the point. I usually list off the individual traits after the name if I'm trying to sell snakes, just in case. ie, "butter motley (amel, caramel, motley)". Even for snows (I've seen people screw up that, too, sadly, like one guy had two kenyans "albino het anery" and the other "albino het snow" for sale. The het snow one was priced a lot higher. I tried to ask why but the convo never went anywhere that made sense to me. I can only imagine one had a anery parent and one had a snow parent, and some people price their snakes by both their genotype and their parents'?!)

Wow, youve done what im planning to do, darn lol, except a bit differently
Hmm I wonder if the ambers could be het amel? This would make more sense as you would get butters coming through, that are butters with hypo in them but the hypo is masked, thats what it looks like to me.
Just a thought, you could try breeding the male amber to an amel to see, just an idea thats been going around my head.
If that is the case then yes you would of produced butter hypos but the hypo is masked, I dint know why, havent got that far yet lol.
hope this helps and keep us informed on how they do.

I'd think "hypo butter" would make more sense, as these are phenotypically butter as opposed to looking like ambers. ;)

Thanks Serpwidget,

Hypo Butters it will be, I also prefer that name, was going to call them amel ambers only because they came from a pair of ambers now het amel.

I think I will end up with four of them, 2 are hatched and are a pair, one is pipping, and I am hoping one more comes out of the last few eggs.

Since I get $65 for an amber, I thought I would list these for $125 each, any suggesstions?

Thanks
Tim B

You gave me a nice chuckle today Tim! I got the impression from your post that you were a bit surprised to find out your ambers were het amel. If it's of any interest to you, the hypo het amber male I purchased from you earlier this year is also het amel. I bred him to my butter female and found these lovely surprises yesterday.

Last edited:
Back