• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hypo or not??

batmand

Hi I got these 2 corns, they are both from 05 and I bought them as hypo's. But are they hypo's or just normal motley's??
CIMG0852.jpg

CIMG0849.jpg

From the pictures they look almost amelanistic due to the lack of black pigmentation.. but they have dark (black?) eyes. Normal motleys do usually have reduced black but a normal would have more black in their pattern than your snakes do.
Also a normal's colors are a bit.. *hmmmmm looking for a good vocabulary word** a bit more contrasting I suppose.
I hope that helps

okay.. Their eyes are black (normal) so they are not amel.. Someone told me that the light one could be hurricane??

batmand said:
Okay, should the offspring be all hypo's if the ones I got is hypo's??

Yeah, if you breed one of your suspected hypo mots to a known hypo and get all hypos, then the motley was hypo. If you do not get ALL hypos, then the snake is het hypo.

batmand said:
Hi I got these 2 corns, they are both from 05 and I bought them as hypo's. But are they hypo's or just normal motley's??
CIMG0852.jpg

CIMG0849.jpg
id say the top one is hypo but im not sure about the bottom could be a nice motley as ive got nice normals that look hypo but they are not. a pic of my nice normal i think she looks like your second pic.

Attachments

• resized1.jpg
    resized1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 35
  • resized2.jpg
    resized2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 35
  • resized3.jpg
    resized3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 35
I agree that breeding trials would be the best bet at finding out if both or either are hypo. The motley gene has a tendency of reducing black, so with them being motley there is a possibility of the "lighter" effect being from that and not the hypo gene. The first one seems more possible than the second one to me, but, breeding trials is the only way to know for sure.

Best of luck. :)

I have an older picture of the bottom one and on that picture it is the same color as the top one.. Can I tell the difference of a normal and hypo motley by looking on the underside of the snake??

Since being a motley means that the belly pattern is absent, there is no way to see any difference in the belly of a hypo motley vs normal motley. With that being said, the belly pattern of a non-motley normal vs hypo is not a 100% indicator of a snake being a motley. Yes, if the belly pattern on one in question is a very faded out gray color, then it would most likely be hypo. But, there are hypos that have only a lightened color pattern with yellows mixed in and normals that can have the same affect on them for other reasons.

There is only two ways to be sure they are hypo. One, if you were the breeder or know the breeder well and know that both parents were proven hypos or by breeding trials. Personally, yours do not "scream" hypo enough, as opposed to being lighter by the motley affect, to say unequivically that they must be hypo.

In my opinion, breeding trials will be the only proof positive way to find out.

Good luck with them. I hope you find you got hypos. :)

Back