• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hypothetical Question

Pal-O-Mine

So your darling house cat finds and corners an invading mouse. You thank the cat and remove the mouse, still alive and squeaking, from her paws. What do you do next????? ( Assuming that you are a member of this forum and keep slithers for pets too. In other words NOT a mundane who runs away screaming at the sight of a mouse! )

Devon

If you're trying in a round-a-bout way to ask "would you feed the mouse to one of your snakes?", then the answer is a flat out no. Not because of any "feel bad" sentiment, but just because there's way too much potential for parasite transmission, disease, and/or toxic chemical exposure on a wild-caught mouse.

What I would do is to take the mouse out to the big park area near my house which has lots open, unmaintained, areas and let it go there.

Kill it and bin it, personally. I've had pet mice I've adored, breeder/feeder mice I enjoyed keeping, but wild mice are nasty little beasts that carry disease IMO

I would let the cat continue to play with it until the mouse is killed (why ruin the fun for the cat - he/she found the toy in the first place and should be able to play with it until it's broken and no fun anymore - or inadvertently train the cat to NOT go after invading wild mice) and then toss it in the trash as the cat as well as a snake can get parasites from eating wild mice.

Yes, I may be weird, but a good mouser isn't always easy to find and if one wild mouse got in the house, you can bet there are more.

I would let the cat continue to play with it until the mouse is killed (why ruin the fun for the cat - he/she found the toy in the first place and should be able to play with it until it's broken and no fun anymore - or inadvertently train the cat to NOT go after invading wild mice) and then toss it in the trash as the cat as well as a snake can get parasites from eating wild mice.

Yes, I may be weird, but a good mouser isn't always easy to find and if one wild mouse got in the house, you can bet there are more.
Good point, Susan.

Stick it in a box, and take it out to the fields nearby.

I wouldn't advise taking them out to the park over the road because mice are damned smart. If they find a way into your house once, they'll find their way in again and again and again.

You have to take them something like 2 miles away and release if you don't want them coming back.

I would let it go miles away from the house, or if you must kill it kill it quickly.

Then I would give the cat a huge treat.

Kill it as if I were going to feed it to my snake, then drop it in the woods well away from any houses. Lots of critters out there that would welcome the meal, and I'd rather not have a mouse rotting anywhere near my house for any length of time.

I don't think any animal should die and then serve no purpose but to rot quietly somewhere. At least some part of the animal, if not every part, should be used in some way, even if it's only as food for something else, or to be buried in a garden as fertilizer, or set on fire in honor of its life. To die because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and then to have that death be utterly meaningless and be left to rot in a trash heap where nothing can benefit from your sacrifice.... It's almost blasphemous.

Kill it as if I were going to feed it to my snake, then drop it in the woods well away from any houses. Lots of critters out there that would welcome the meal, and I'd rather not have a mouse rotting anywhere near my house for any length of time.

I don't think any animal should die and then serve no purpose but to rot quietly somewhere. At least some part of the animal, if not every part, should be used in some way, even if it's only as food for something else, or to be buried in a garden as fertilizer, or set on fire in honor of its life. To die because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and then to have that death be utterly meaningless and be left to rot in a trash heap where nothing can benefit from your sacrifice.... It's almost blasphemous.

Even though I am a softie and wouldn't kill it, I think I like you.
Very nice way of thinking!

I remember reading somewhere about a culture or religion which practiced feeding their deceased to vultures, so their bodies would not pollute the earth, water, or sky (cremation as the reference for sky). Something about their souls taking wing and looking down on their loved ones for eternity. Twas a long time ago, this memory is from.
I toss uneaten food in the front yard here, there's a local buzzard population; they're fun to watch and freak out the neighbors, so it's a win-win.

I remember reading somewhere about a culture or religion which practiced feeding their deceased to vultures, so their bodies would not pollute the earth, water, or sky (cremation as the reference for sky). Something about their souls taking wing and looking down on their loved ones for eternity. Twas a long time ago, this memory is from.
I toss uneaten food in the front yard here, there's a local buzzard population; they're fun to watch and freak out the neighbors, so it's a win-win.

Gee Dave, it is so hard to imagine you freaking out your neighbors!!
( I have mine cowering in fear, lol)

The Zoroastrian faith I think. Bodies were exposed on a Tower of Silence (a "Dakhma") to break down through natural processes.

Isn't that in Tibet? And I think they call it a sky burial.
I do the same thing with my uneaten feeders, toss em in the yard. Living in the country has its perks!

Back