• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I am curious :)

newbie319

I recently got a 3 yr. old cornsnake. Everytime I go into his tub to either freshen his water, or just open the tub to look in on him, he coils up and looks as if he is going to strike. He hasn't yet but that's because I've been really careful. Also, when I do just go to touch him or pick him up he twitches really bad, and he's really jumpy. Is this normal? I also got a brooks kingsnake, and she is so personable compared to what I've heard about kings. She is the sweetest thing. I just wonder why would the corn snake be so flinchy. Even after I have him out and on my lap he is always twitching. Any and all comments would be appreciated! Is there anything I can do to make him feel more at ease?

It could have been how the previous owner treated him/her. Sometimes the "twitching" behavior is a territorial response seen during periods of mating or in response to another snake's scent. My guess would be if you are handling the female kingsnake and then the male cornsnake, he senses the other snake on you and is responding to her scent.

Handling him more often will help, but if you will remember to wash your hands before handling him to remove any other scents it should help.

I thought about that, they are in a snake rack. She is in the top tub and him in the one under her. I use clorox wipes before and after handling any of the snakes. I don't think any of her scent would still linger, but even when I handle him first, he acts like that. I don't know anything about his history, other than the girl I got him from said she handled him everyday, etc. But you never know what they went throught before you got them. I try to handle him at least once a day for only about 10-15 minutes as not to stress him out. He is always hiding too. I will lift his hide up to check on him and he coils up and does his "S" shape. He's never striked but I always move slowly when going in to get him out. Once he's out, he is curious about everything but twitches so badly. Just want to make sure there's nothing seriously wrong. I don't know if he's ever been bred, he is 3 yrs old so he's of age. I don't plan on breeding. They are only pets :)

Corn snakes are for the most part nocturnal and prefer to hide (mostly active at dusk/night). The "S" shape is just a typical defensive posture and since he is not striking at you and you are handling him regularly he should eventually get used to your behaviors (feel more comfortable) and calm down.

Thank you so much. Just wanted to be sure there was nothing wrong. I will continue to handle him and hope he gets comfortable with me. I fell in love with him, and had to have him!! Again thank you for the quick replies ;)

Back