• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I can't believe he missed ..

My first health problem with the little guy and I'm kind of really nervous ..
Here's the story. I was feeding him this morning, and I guess he was super excited because as I was lowering the mouse into his box, instead of waiting until it was at his level he leapt up to grab it, missed, and bit himself! And then, to make it worse, not realizing what he had done, he clamped down.
I can tell he was in pain because he jumped and yanked his mouth away really fast. I checked his mouth and his teeth seem fine. On his side, there is a tiny tiny tiny little mark from one of his teeth. And I mean tiny, it took me a while to actually find it. He's 35g so he didn't pack too much of a punch to himself.
No oozing or anything, I don't think he penetrated far enough. It really just looks like he got the scale.
After he seemed calmed down, I tried feeding him again. He was really slow to get going this time, but eventually ate after about 20 minutes.
I don't know what I should do about the puncture. It's really small, and he seems okay, but I don't want it to get infected or anything. There are no herp vets that I know of in my area. Is there some kind of anti-septic that I should put on it? Should I just leave it? He should be shedding this week. Should I wait to see how it looks after the shed? I checked on him this morning (he's not shy after feeding), and he seems to be acting completely normal; alert and moving around okay.
Any suggestions would be great. Even if it's a "don't worry!"

Thanks

(also, I will try to get a picture once he's digested, but I only have iPhone camera and it doesn't usually focus close enough to get a good close picture. I will try if needed though.)

LOL I have seen my corns and even one of my balls bite themselves in their excitment. It will be fine. Just watch it and if you are really worried you can put some neosporin on there (without paid medication) and it will be just fine! It's sorta funny when you sit back and think about it. Silly snakes!

I agree. Should just be an amusing anecdote in the end. As has been said, just keep an eye on it but I doubt there will be a problem. In all likelihood you won't be able to see a thing after the next shed.

He's just excited. When I've underfed my locality okeetee (as in, she's not sated), she'll be very active and flail and tail rattle when I pick her up. She's even swung around and tried to bite me. Hungry hungry snakes.

My anery bites herself at least once a month. It riles her up and she takes her anger out on the pinks. She'll hit them hard in a writhing coil and chomp them back. I don't cut slits in them anymore since she popped one and put herself in a blood crazed fury. She may be the smallest snake in the house, but she's the only one I wont pick up after a feeding.

Thanks guys! I can't believe this is something that's actually happened frequently, I thought he was probably the only one loool. I was a little worried. But looking back, I just keep thinking .. crazy snake.
:p

He's in blue right now, so I will keep an eye out for how he looks after he sheds.

Back