• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I fear starting an argument... but...

Smoogle

CornSnake: Seymour
Whats everyones views on 2 corns living in one viv?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, i don't want this turning into a heated argument as i will still have no answer, just tell me what YOU think and why...

And ill hopefully get to a conclusion...

:shrugs:

Ummm...do a search and you'll find all the info you need. Some say yay, some say nay.

I personally have two females that have lived together from day one for 9 years now. They currently live in a 55g aquarium so they have plenty of room. I always separate to feed and other than that no problems. But search around!!

What am i best searching for?

What term?

I have a month old corn, and am luking to get another similar aged one (weeks apart) could i put him/her in the same viv as mine now?

Its a 2 foot one...

The choice is ultimately yours to make as to whether you house them together or not. I can give you a situation I had though. I acquired 2 adult corns that were housed together since they hatched, the female has, well lets just say, an attitude problem. I would hate to say it IS because they were housed together, but I believe it has something to do with it. It certainly makes feeding and cleaning time interesting. (tag is her favourite game apparently)

I might try a piece of seperation glass through my viv, and then remove it after a few months...

This is definitely a subject that has been written about over and over again. You can do a search for housing together, cannibalism, etc. and you should be able to find quite a bit of info. I personally think it is best to house separately. There are many good reasons for keeping them separately, but no really good reasons for keeping them together. The main reason for keeping them together is cost...no need to buy another enclosure, heater, etc. In my opinion, if one can't afford another enclosure, then he's most likely not going to able to afford vet care if the need arises.

The pros for keeping them apart are:
  • No early breeding. This helps to eliminate egg-binding and death due to egg-binding.
  • Decreases the chance of disease transmission.
  • In the wild, most snakes are solitary creatures. Forced cohabitation can cause severe stress, which can increase the risk of illness.
  • If they are apart, then you will know if one of them regurgitates, has diarrhea, etc. If they are together, then it will be MUCH harder to determine which one is having a problem.
  • NO chance of cannibalism!

That is all I can think of right now. I am at work right now, but if I think of anything else, I'll try to add it later.

I've housed my darlings together since I got them and they adore eachother. I'm pretty sure they'd miss eachother if I were to separate them. I guess it depends on the attitude of the snakes in question though.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere when I was first looking at getting snakes that corn snakes can be found huddled together under logs/rocks in the wild. Everyone says they're independent creatures, but I know mine enjoy curling up together (if they didn't they'd use a different rock to hide under).

Hjorrdis said:
(if they didn't they'd use a different rock to hide under).
The explanation for this is because they need the same environmental factors, not because they enjoy each other's company. Sorry...

Hjorrdis said:
I've housed my darlings together since I got them and they adore eachother. I'm pretty sure they'd miss eachother if I were to separate them. I guess it depends on the attitude of the snakes in question though.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere when I was first looking at getting snakes that corn snakes can be found huddled together under logs/rocks in the wild. Everyone says they're independent creatures, but I know mine enjoy curling up together (if they didn't they'd use a different rock to hide under).

the snakes being together all curled up is a domination thing...

I believe if it is a temporary situation, fine...

I had two of my girls together for about two months if not a little more... they curled up together and whatnot, but they simply share a favorite hiding place. One morning there was a regurge and the only way we knew who it was was what the regurge looked like. (one snake had one large pink and the other had two tiny pinks) why she yacked, i dunno. :shrugs: But i will say that if you can seperate them i would... i was all for housing together until my lil one :puke01:

if you wanna chance it...up to you

hi .....
All of my snakes are housed seperatly due to.... one snake can intimidate the other....snakes are loners and dont need company although it does look like they would miss each other when they curl up together... if one snake is ill i know which one it is....there is also breeding season to contend with (2 males would they fight?....2 females could they lay infertile eggs?....a male and female well that states the obvious but if under age and mated could result in problems for the female laying her eggs ....i do know guys who keep snakes together and dont have any problems at all....
good luck in what ever you decide at the end of the day its up to you

tracy

If you're asking, I think you're still too new to the husbandry issues to recognize stress in your animals if they are. I think for people new to the hobby, housing apart makes more sense. I think I have a few of my animals that would do just fine together, but I know a couple of them would suffer for the having another animal in their enclosure. At the beginning, I don't think I would have been savvy enough to recognize some of the subtle signs of stress in some of my animals, and even now, I would rather house apart for all the other reasons listed above. I would also include spreading of disease if one of your animals should become ill with parasites or something like that. You could also count on the other co-habitated animal becoming ill as well. Not worth the risk in my book.

Back