• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I feel really stupid asking this...

Hmmm. I wonder _why_ a motley or stripe snake never shows Aztec or zigzag. At least I can never recall seeing it. If Aztec and zigzag are attributed to faulty neural crest migration, why can't that happen to motley or stripe? Anyone?? Never thought about it before.

I don't see why it couldn't happen, as 'aztec' isn't a gene, just a random (as far as we can tell) pattern variation...but Nanci, you make a very good point, I wonder why it doesn't?

I've seen pictures of a few, but all were Canadian as I recall. For quite a while now I've thought our neighbors to the north had some superior aztecs and now that I think of it, I don't remember any aztec motleys in the US.

Hmmm. I wonder _why_ a motley or stripe snake never shows Aztec or zigzag. At least I can never recall seeing it. If Aztec and zigzag are attributed to faulty neural crest migration, why can't that happen to motley or stripe? Anyone?? Never thought about it before.

I think Weirdo was meant to be both (now at Katies). I'll have to dig up some pics...

I just thought about it, when i was looking at this strange looking pattern on my Aztec female it reminded me of a motley so i decided to see if it was even remotely possible

I initially had a project to create aztec/zigzag motleys, but Murphy kept hitting it very hard so I gave up. This female motley would have been one of the founders. She was the F2 result of pairing a motley with a zigzag and breeding the F1s that had partial zigzag patterns together. The aberrant broken pattern towards her tail was the look I was hoping to get and intensify. I even had a name already chosen for the morph...mosaic.

Last edited:
C&C&L, why do you feel stupid asking a legitimate question? Remember; no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Unless of course you ask the question more than once I guess. How do you think any of us learned anything.

Alright let me rephrase that more....appropriately. I am not that good in genetics, and i thought it night sound kinda stupid if it had been brough up before, i didn't know whether Aztec and Motley were about the same gene and you could have one of the other.....kind like brown eyes and blue eyes, where, you COULD have one of both, but it is VERY rare.

I'll see what I can do... *has dilute anery mot. half sibling to full length patterned aztec* I just got to get them to the same weights, females alot bigger. I have another sib to them that's a full length patterned anery aztec male too. Perhaps 2011. The little male motley has pixelated side markings but his dorsal pattern is a nice regular mot. Older pic below.

Attachments

• galingale-belly.jpg
    galingale-belly.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 17
Alright let me rephrase that more....appropriately. I am not that good in genetics, and i thought it night sound kinda stupid if it had been brough up before, i didn't know whether Aztec and Motley were about the same gene and you could have one of the other.....kind like brown eyes and blue eyes, where, you COULD have one of both, but it is VERY rare.

As far as we know, motley and stripe are not at all connected to the genes that make up the aztec/zigzag pattern. In fact, we've not been able to isolate the genes, and we're pretty sure there are more than one, that controls that particular pattern. All we know is that if you breed 2 zigzag/aztec patterned corns, you have a higher chance of producing patterned offspring, but even if the parents were perfect with 100% awesome patterns, you can and will get offspring with a xariety of normal patterns, partial zigzag/aztec patterns, and good patterns. And you can get the aztec/zigzag pattern from parents who both show a 100% normal pattern.

Back