• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I found snake-pheromone research!

SnakeNutt

OK, so I asked a question in a previous thread about how long a female corn continues to produce "come & get me" pheromones after she's been inseminated at least once. No one really gave me a definite answer, so I went to trusty old Google. I found a fascinating news article about research done on Manitoba red-sided garter snakes. You can find the whole story at this address (warning -- the news story was put on that other forum), but I've excerpted some really interesting stuff below.

http://forum.kingsnake.ca/general/messages/26293.html

"...Mason is holding a jar containing a clear liquid. Snake Love Potion No. 9.
The jar actually contains a suite of molecules called methyl ketones -- garter snake sex pheromones -- dissolved in an organic solvent. Snake pheromones are physically similar to margarine fats and, like margarine fats, some methyl ketones are saturated and some are unsaturated. In 1989, Mason found that it's the unsaturated pheromones produced by females that work magic on males."

"A male garter snake courts anything that smells, to his flicking tongue, like a female -- a newly emerged male stinky with female pheromones (called a "she-male"), a dead female ("male snakes don't let a little thing like death stop them," says Shine), even a paper towel dipped in female pheromone. A paper towel is so obviously not a snake, and the crease in the paper towel that a male will attempt to breed is so obviously not a female's gaping cloaca, that the only explanation is a complete pheromonal override of all snake sense.
"We don't even have to make a (snake) model," says Mason. "The males try to mate with the paper towel -- males identify the paper towel as a female."
In their pheromone research, Mason and his colleagues not only identified the methyl ketones, they were able to synthesize them in a laboratory. The synthetic pheromones also attracted males to paper towels.
On a snake, the pheromones don't soak the skin like sweat; they are embedded in the skin in a layer of skin fats (lipids).
"We don't think of ourselves as greasy," says Mason. "But all critters on land, including insects and vertebrates, have a micro-molecular layer of skin lipids that retards water loss. It's not like we're covered with Crisco, although Crisco would work just as well."

When a female garter snake finally chooses to be bred by one of her male groupies, she gapes her cloaca, the opening that serves both reproductive and elimination functions. One male inserts one of his two hemipenes (according to Shine, usually the right one), his sperm and, after he's finished in 15 minutes or so, a gelatinous chastity plug that resembles a daub of silicone glue."

"Mating gives a female relief from harassment. After mating she becomes unattractive by producing an unsexy copulatory pheromone. Males leave her alone until the chastity plug breaks down and falls out, in 24 to 36 hours. Male garter snake skin contains saturated methyl ketones as well as a compound called squalene. She-male garter snakes, a temporary phase in the life of male garter snakes, produce a combination of saturated and unsaturated methyl ketones, and no squalene. Although there's no actual mating, other males court she-males and wrap them up in mating balls."

Liz's comment -- Although the second and third sentences of that last paragraph address my question, I'm not satisfied, especially since I don't know if corns and garters are alike in that respect. I'll continue to post what I find in further research later in this thread.

Oh, this is too funny. Doesn't really answer my question, but it does show that even researchers can have a sense of humor, as evidenced by the title of their research paper -- "The Problem with Courting a Cylindrical Object: How Does an Amorous Male Snake Determine Which End Is Which?." Among other experiments in this study, researchers actually tied a string to both ends of a DEAD female snake (I don't know how they came about a dead female, don't wanna know) and pulled "the carcass" randomly in both directions, and males were attracted to it and tried to court it!

Go to this address
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/old labbers/daveo/268problemcourting.pdf

Here's another research article, entitled "THE FUNCTION OF SQUAMATE EPIDERMATOGLYPHICS." (You can find the entire article at http://herpetology.com/1phs30.html)

Interestingly (and not surprisingly, since most of us know that the best time to introduce two prospective corn mates to each other is right after the female sheds), the researchers state the following:

"All of the above provide solid evidence for presence of lipids in and on squamate epidermis. There is also evidence for these lipids serving pheromone function. Kubie, Choen, and Halpern (1978) have shown that estradiol benzoate treated female garter snakes (T. radix) are more sexually attractive after shedding and that this sexual attractiveness is transferred to penmates. This pheromone may be lipids released from lacunar vacuoles during shedding. However, Garstka and Crews (1981) showed that the sexual attractiveness pheromone in garter snakes (T.sirtalis) is a lipid which moves through the skin. These lines of evidence appear to us to suggest very strongly that the function of squamate epidermatoglyphics is to aid in dispersal and retention of pheromones between molts."

OK, so I'm getting closer, but still not exactly the answer to my question. I'll keep digging.

So, is this the reason that some male corns will try to breed other male corns?

"Researchers at the University of Sydney and Oregon State University have been studying a type of male garter snake from Canada. The snake measures approximately 80 cm in length and feeds on a variety of worms, fish and frogs.

'In harsh winters, garter snakes congregate in underground dens, beneath the frostline, to hibernate. One den may contain as many as 50,000 snakes.'
In the spring, when they emerge months later, they are cold, weak and very slow. In order to survive they need to warm up as quickly as possible and get moving.

Scientists now believe that when the snake comes out of hibernation, it produces pheromones – a naturally occurring chemical substance which makes it smell like a female.

When the males seek the females they form mating balls (or concentrations), which can include as many as 100 males. By pretending to be a female, the weak male attracts many other males who pile on top of it.

The group of snakes transfers its heat onto the weak snake while at the same time protecting it from attacks by crows.

The researchers established that those snakes which behaved like females (she-males) warmed up much more quickly than those males who carried on smelling and acting as males.

Attracting the courtship of vast numbers of males only lasts a few days though. The journal Nature reports:

'... She-maleness has since been shown to be a transitory phase that is restricted to the first day or two after a male first emerges from his eight-month hibernation.'"

Found this at --
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/highlights/011119_snake.shtml

I don't know how to use those smilies over there on the right, but if I did, boy would I be using them!

Here's to big girls!

"Variation in a female sexual attractiveness pheromone controls male mate choice in garter snakes."

LeMaster MP, Mason RT.
Department of Zoology, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97331-2914, USA. [email protected]

"Male red-sided garter snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) display a courtship preference for larger females during the breeding season. Utilizing behavioral experiments and chemical analyses, we tested the hypothesis that males can discriminate among females of varying size solely by means of the sexual attractiveness pheromone, a previously characterized sex pheromone composed of a homologous series of long-chain saturated and omega-9 cis-unsaturated methyl ketones contained in the skin lipids of females. When presented with skin lipid extracts from large and small females, a greater proportion of males displayed courtship behaviors to large female extracts. This demonstrates that there is an intrinsic property of the female skin lipids that allows males to differentiate among large and small females. Analysis of the sexual attractiveness pheromone revealed that the necessary variation exists for this pheromone to function as a reliable indicator to males of female body size. Specifically, we observed a strong correlation between female snout-vent length and the relative concentration of saturated and omega-9 cis-unsaturated methyl ketones composing the pheromone; smaller females expressed pheromone profiles higher in saturated methyl ketones. while larger females expressed pheromone profiles dominated by unsaturated methyl ketones. The results of this study suggest that male red-sided garter snakes utilize compositional variation in the female sexual attractiveness pheromone to differentiate among potential mates of varying size."

Found at address below --
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12184402

AHA! Getting really close now

Unfortunately, this is research done on gartersnakes. I can't find anything on corns -- perhaps you'll be the one to do this, Serp?

"Chastity Belts in Gartersnakes: The Functional Significance of Mating Plugs."

published in December 1999 in the Biological Journal fo the Limean Society

"Male red-sided gartersnakes...deposit a thick gelatinous plug that occludes the female cloaca after copulation. Previous workers have interpreted the plug as a sexually selected adaptation to (1) physically prevent re-mating by the female, and/or (2) provide pheromonal clues to discourage courtship by rival males or to decrease receptivity by females. [Liz's interjection here -- Now THIS is what I've been wondering about!] Our data support the former hypothesis, but not the latter. [Liz's second interjection -- well, crap, looks like I've gotta start digging again.] Plugs serve as effective physical barriers to additional copulation for less than 72 hours, but this is long enough for most females to become unreceptive [third interjection -- Aha, a clue here! Elaborate, please!], and/or disperse from the mating aggregation. Experimental removal of plugs immediately after copulation results in some re-mating by females, but plug removal several hours later does not rekindle sexual receptivity. [AHA! Please, go on!] Contrary to previous work, our experiments show that fluids associated with copulation (rather than the plug per se) are responsible for the rapid decline of male interest in mated females. [NOW we're getting somewhere!] .... Gartersnakes are unusual not only in their production of mating plugs, but also in their brief duration of copulation compared to other snakes. ...." [Final interjection -- ARGH!!!!]

OK, now that I've gotten that out of my system, so when's someone gonna do this research with corns?

I took the excerpt above from the research paper's abstract. In case anyone wants to download and read the entire paper, go to --
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/shine/reprints/261chastitybelts.pdf

Oh, those tricky, tricky "she-males"

Found at www.exn.ca

Transvestite snakes have upper hand

By*John Smid,*February*23,*2000

People in the dating scene know how competitive it can be. To talk with a special someone you may have to reach into your bag of tricks. And we all know that everyone has their own set of strategies when it comes to dating.

Some male red-sided garter snakes in Manitoba have come up with the most unique trick of all. By secreting female scents from their skin, they seduce unsuspecting male competitors and impel them to exhaust their energy trying to mate with what they believe is a female. With their competitors duped and drained, the 'she-male' snake has a much greater opportunity to approach the real females and copulate with them.

Finding a mate is not a simple task for red-sided garters. After months of hibernation, they emerge - males first - from their caves after the April thaw. Females emerging soon after, have no trouble finding attention. If a female is emitting the appropriate pheromone, she is quickly besieged by a large number of males. The group that quickly assembles becomes what is called a "mating ball" with 10 to 100 males intertwined with a single female. When the female raises her tail, exposing her cloaca (sexual cavity), the best-positioned male inserts one of its two penises. Soon after the female has been claimed, the other males slither off.

But who's to say who's a female? When a chemical cross-dresser slithers into the mating ball, heads begin to turn. The disguised male smells just like a female. Flicking their tongues in the air, the normal male snakes detect the pheromones of a female. Sensing another "female" in the sexual arena, many of the normal males turn their attention to the newcomer.

With less competition for the real female, the cunning cross-dresser has a much better chance of successful copulation. In fact, male garters that exhibit this trait are more than twice as successful at mating with females.

Male and female garter snakes share almost all of their pheromones, but exhibit them in different ratios. The challenge for researchers was to find out which pheromone is responsible for making a female snake smell feminine. Zoologist Robert Mason of Oregon State University found the answer. He decided to look closely at squaline, a chemical exhibited in much lesser amounts in females than in males. When squaline was added to a paper towel soaked in female pheromones, half of the male snakes lost interest and slithered away. Conversely, without the squaline, they were all intensely interested.

Apparently, squaline is what sets males apart from females. After analyzing skin secretions, Mason found that the chemical also separates males from she-males. The she-males he examined exhibited male and female pheromones, but more importantly they lacked this male-repelling squaline.

By suppressing squaline production after waking from a long winter's nap, she-male garter snakes capture two major advantages. First, it tricks the competitors into expending what little energy they have left from their hibernation in a futile chase of a mate that isn't compatible. Second, they save themselves a lot of energy because they are concentrating on being female instead of jousting for a female like the other males.

With what seems to be an overwhelming reproductive advantage, you would think that the red-sided garter population would be overrun with she-males. But that's not the case, as less than one in every hundred males have this trait. Reasons for the diminutive numbers are still speculative, but researchers believe that the numbers may be the result of an unknown genetic disadvantage. However, they have not discounted the possibility that the trait is newly acquired and that more snakes exhibiting she-male behaviour will arise.

Alas, too little scientific research on corns.

Despite using several search terms and despite following every potential lead I could find, I was unable to find the answer to my question. Just not enough research on corns. LOTS on gartersnakes, but nothing on corns.

Oh, well. For those of you who have actually read this thread through to this point, I apologize for wasting your time. It was a nit-picky question to begin with, but relevant to a breeding situation I find myself in -- I just purchased an adult female who may or may not have been recently exposed to a male, yet who seemed very interested in breeding a snake at the store, but three days later did everything she could to evade my more-than-ready male. I wanted to know if perhaps she could still be putting off receptive pheromones (which clearly interested my male) even if she were pregnant and not at all receptive to being bred again.

Maybe she just doesn't think my selected male is "the one for her." I think I'll just wait for a couple of weeks to see if she starts feeling/looking preggers.

HOLY CRAP!!! LOL!! :roflmao:

Mike LeMaster is my biology professor here at school. He's the one helping me do the cornsnake irridophore research. I know exactly the study you are talking about because there are posters of it plastered all over the building.

This is too funny. I'll have to tell him about this, and ask if he knows about cornsnake pheremones at all. If you guys have any questions for him post them and I'll make sure he sees them. :cheers:

Sisuitl said:
HOLY CRAP!!! LOL!! :roflmao:

Mike LeMaster is my biology professor here at school. He's the one helping me do the cornsnake irridophore research. I know exactly the study you are talking about because there are posters of it plastered all over the building.

This is too funny. I'll have to tell him about this, and ask if he knows about cornsnake pheremones at all. If you guys have any questions for him post them and I'll make sure he sees them. :cheers:

Please do! My main question is -- How long does a female corn continue to put out "come and get me" pheromones after she's been inseminated? Or are the pheromones more related to shedding than insemination?

Thanks!

Liz

Okay, finally got hold of Dr. LeMaster (midterms, phew!).

He says that snake pheremones are found in the lipids in their skin. That is why female snakes smell "sexy" right after they shed. It's when the concentration of pheremones, usually about 10% at this point, is the highest.

He also says that once a female has been bred, she does not become less appealing. She will still have the same amount of pheremones in her lipids regardless of how many males she has mated with. Garter snake males will deposit some of their own pheremone on a female once she has been mated, that acts as a "hands off" (or coils off :) ) signal for a few days until it wears off, and then the girl smells good again. He said that colubrids don't do that though.

Over time, the amount of pheremones in the lipids is reduced, because the new lipids being formed don't have any pheremones. This way the pheremones in the skin are gradually diluted.

Also, pheremone production is seasonally regulated.

Hurray for Dr. LeMaster!

Back