• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I hate the sun!

Thoth

the n00biest n00b
I haven't been home all day, but I know the temp where I live peaked somewhere in the low 100's F (ca. 40 C). When I got home at about 7 pm, Eve's viv was at 93 F (33 C). I have both windows in the room open with the ceiling fan and desk fan going at full blast. The air conditioning unit in this apartment is really weak and it's all the way at the other end of the apartment, so it's useless. I have an ice pack sitting on top of the viv, but it's not helping.

The weather forecast said it's supposed to get a bit hotter by the weekend.

My poor animals are going to be cooked! My crabs and millipede haven't come out of hiding for a while.

:cry:

Oh, and of course, Eve's in blue right now.

The hygrometer isn't reading, so it must be below 30% in there. I put in a humid hide, but with the heat, she'll go in slightly dehydrated and come out braised.

Eve should be ok as long as she has water and is not in the direct sunlight. That temp is not ideal, but she will be ok for a few days like that. Does the apartment cool off much at night?

It really makes a difference to put the vivs down on the floor. Can you move them to the room with the AC?

Nanci

Maybe you have a cooler place like a cellar to temporarily put her in a tub? Or a dark closet, that migth decrease temp just the few degrees you need.

Also (you've probably already thought of this though) turn off any and all heaters till it's cool out. They might be on a thermostat and in that case they'd be off already, but I wouldn't take any chances.

I wonder if a few red bricks soaked in water would be cooler as the water dries off? I think that would do a little something to help..

I'll try to reply to all of those at once:

Temp duration: It's been unbearably hot for a long time; it's just this specific over-100 heat wave is this week. But I don't expect it to drop regularly to the mid-80's until October. And no, it doesn't really cool off at night. My thermometer (not the viv one) said 80 at around 4:30 this morning.

Bricks: I'm too much of a klutz to hold anything that hard and heavy near a glass box with a live animal in it. :p

Cellar: Nope, this apartment's just the one floor. And we don't have any closets with enough room to hold the vivs. (We picked a right peach of an apartment, didn't we?)

Room w/ A/C: I'm going to move Eve's viv (and maybe the crabs; for some reason my roommate's terrified of the millipede so she's staying put) to the floor of the living room. Unfortunately, it's one of those window-mounted a/c units that doesn't have a thermostat. It's either on or off, so I'll have to leave it on all day when I'm not home. I guess I'll just have to pay a ton in electricity bills next month.

Thanks for all the help! (And the animals thank you, too!)

If you can get some evaporation going, it will cool the viv down in no time. Put a BIG bowl of water in there (you don't want to risk running out of water), and point the desk fan so that it will circulate some air in and out of the viv. Tom's idea of bricks might also work, but won't make as big a difference unless you get the air circulating in there a little.

Yeah a stack of bricks are definately a liability on the glass bottom. (I use melamine or plastic in all mine so I never think of glass.)
But like Desertanimal said the key for a little cheap cooling is evaporation because it takes heat away with the water (as far as I understand..)

You can rig a little swamp cooler up with a wet towel over a fan, maybe the bottom of the towel dipped in water so it continues to wick up the towel, and point it in the direction of the viv..

Also opening the windows at night and closing them and the drapes in the day will probably help alot- assuming you have good insulation and cooler nights..

Or if you are running the a/c (the more expensive way of cooling) why not move the tanks to the cool room?

Go to home depot and get the Masonite that has one side finished with white. it is used for bathrooms it is about 1/16 of a inch thick. I cut it to the size of my windos to block the sun . You put it right up against the glass. It works better that shads or blinds because the sun don't enter the room. Leave the windows closed because you are letting the hot air in . Only leave the windows if you are a cool breeze. then that case block the top or bottom and leave the other portion of the window open . In the other window put a strong exhaust window fan and block the top of the window. this is what I have done for years. I have no AC and live on the top floor of my building

Or you can buy a AC for a 100 bucks I would do that but the wires in my old building wont take the load due to all the electricity I use on all the dragons and the fish tanks

Back