• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I have decided im going to get a ball python- what do i need to know?

Prattj

What is everything i need to get/ know before i buy one? Any info is great. I think im going to do the plastic tub, because i read that they are nocturnal and feel safer in a dark smaller places right? And an UTH? Thermometer? Any other things to heat the tank needed?

If you can hang tight a day, I'm actually in the process of writing a really detailed "ball pythons for beginners" thread.

I'll link it to you once it's up. Should be finished by tomorrow.

They won't be social no matter what you put them in. I had my first BP in a glass tank and he was always in his hides. A hiding snake is a happy snake :)

A plastic bin will be great, obviously make sure you have air holes, and set it up before hand so you can monitor your humidity. I found mine was too high when I first set them up, so I added more air holes around the edges.

You'll want an accurate thermometer, and you want one that also reads humidity. You'll need a UTH, and it's recommended that you use a thermostat so that it doesn't get hot enough to burn your snake. Whether or not you'll need anything else for heat depends on your home. You want 80F ambient air temperature, and 90F for the hot spot (UTH). I keep my BP rack in my bedroom closet with a little space heater. This is on a thermostat and keeps the air temp in the closet at 80F and my rack's heat tape is also on a separate thermostat that keeps the tape at 90F.

I use bins and still provide hides. If you chose to do this you'll want two identical hides. If they like one more, they'll sacrifice their heat needs for the security of their favored hide.

General snake things, don't handle for the first week after you get him/her. Let him settle in, check temps and keep water fresh but that's it. Get one that is already eating F/T if you can. When you thaw feeders you'll need to heat them (I use a blow dryer) before feeding. Live rats/mice have a pretty high body temp, and it really makes a difference with BPs to have their feeders warmed up adequately.

Don't be surprised if your snake skips feedings. Some will eat like champs - a lot of them will refuse to eat if your temps are a little off, or if it's too bright in the room while you're trying to feed them, etc.

Hopefully that was all coherent and answers some of your questions :) Enjoy your new baby! I love my bps - aside from the occasional frustration over their pickyness xD

Thank you! She was roaming around for a little bit but is under her log all curled up now. So freakinnnn cute! When i was putting her in her tub i was walking across the room and she kinda wiggled a little, and her anal plate lifted up (which i had never seen before) and i saw what seemed to look like a girl part. I have seen the difference between male and female genitalia from pictures before, but never in person. Im pretty sure this was a girl. I dont know why she did this though.. i thought maybe i was going to get pooped on but nothing came out.

If you can hang tight a day, I'm actually in the process of writing a really detailed "ball pythons for beginners" thread.

I'll link it to you once it's up. Should be finished by tomorrow.

Even though i already got her i am going to still read this thoroughly :)

Okay so warm side is at 82.6 on top of the cypress and under is 90. Its way way way way way to humid in there though. Its at about 86& so i need to drill more holes.

A little bit late now, but why did you get the snake before having all the info and the set-up ready? With the correct care you can have your pet for 15 years or more, so waiting a few days or weeks wouldn't have hurt.
I'm not saying this to be nasty, but mistakes on your part could have serious consequences for the snake.

The only reason to use cypress (IMO) is if you're having humidity issues. In a bin you shouldn't have problems maintaining humidity. So I would just use aspen or paper towel. I use those in my bins and keep a humidity of about 50. If you need it a tad warmer (like during shed) you can move the water bowl closer to the heat pad.

I agree that you should have your enclosure set up for a few days BEFORE you get your animal, as having high humidity and low temperatures can result in an RI.

You need your cool side to be warmer. 75 minimum, 80 ideal.

The humidity that you want to maintain would be 50-60 I'd say, and then spray daily when the snake is in shed.

I wish the best for you and your snake though.

Thank you- here is a recent picture. She has eaten two meals in the two weeks i have had her. Shes a happy gal!

893824_613737805308662_1430890973_o.jpg

Back