• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I hope you don't get bit by a coral snake after October of this year

As mentioned, antivenin has been in short supply for years. Rattlesnake antivenin has only recently been available again to the veterinary field. For years, only human hospitals were able to obtain any. Besides, it is so expensive (veterinarian's COST is $419.80/vial) for the average pet owner that the one vial we have will doubtfully ever get used, not that 1 vial would treat anything over about 10 pounds anyway. Your average dog of 50# would need about 3-5 vials and most pet owners wouldn't spend that much for something that in all honesty is rarely needed anyway. When my pitbull was bitten by a rattlesnake, all he got was a $25 steroid injection and did just fine.

FDA approved micrurus antivenom is being reworked from horse to sheep I believe, or vice versa. However, Venom One in Florida carries exotic micrurus antivenoms that can help you. That, and corals rarely are seen and even more rarely bite.

Your average dog of 50# would need about 3-5 vials and most pet owners wouldn't spend that much for something that in all honesty is rarely needed anyway. When my pitbull was bitten by a rattlesnake, all he got was a $25 steroid injection and did just fine.

That could be because the venom targets rodents specifically in most rattlers, and rodents are closer to primates than any other mammal, which could explain why dogs tend to do better, a human would need 30+ vials for the dog's 3.

That could be because the venom targets rodents specifically in most rattlers, and rodents are closer to primates than any other mammal, which could explain why dogs tend to do better, a human would need 30+ vials for the dog's 3.

Similar how the funnel web spider from Australia is lethal to humans and other primates but has no ill effect on dogs or cats.

Similar how the funnel web spider from Australia is lethal to humans and other primates but has no ill effect on dogs or cats.
Funnel webs are not leathal to humans, thats a common misconception AFAIK...
The Sidney Funnel web on the other hand is a different matter...

Looks like we'll be going back to the old days of butter, whiskey, and prayer. I happen to live in rattlesnake country and everyone talks about the lack of antivenin. I tell people to keep the bull snakes they find, but it is hard for some people not to kill snakes.

I believe the one Brewster was talking about was the SFW, lol
Obviously as he mentioned lethal... But the fact of the matter is Funnel web spiders cover quite a few species and not all are as dangerous as the Sidney funnel web...
Funnel webs are predominantly Hexathelidae which there are over 40 but the Sidney funnel web is Atrax..
If you were to use an invert forum common names are never used because of this mix up.... I just thought others may want to expand there exotic knowledge a bit....

Back