• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I made my corn ill please help

Daveo

My corn snake didn't poop AT ALL for a month, so as you can imagine I was VERY worried because I had been feeding him properly and regulaly, there are no herp vets anywhere near where I live so I just used my common sense and gentely squeezed the snakes body and pushed towards the opening. Im glad to say that the poop DID come out kind of like a toothpaste effect.

But now my snake is a non feeder, the other day it did eat a pinky even though he is an adult snake but regurged :( I cant help but think that I caused my snake to be this ill. What should I do, any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would look up Kathy Loves FAQ on regurges it probably saved my little ones life. I guess the main concern would be why an adult corn would stop pooping in the first place and if damage was done which kinked something internally inhibiting digestion since a pink is a tiny meal for an adult anyway. Is the snake visably kinked anywhere or swollen? Did you handle the snake soon after the tiny meal? You should find a vet in your area to make sure there aren't actual problems or damage and follow the regurge FAQ for now. I think most people "swim" their snakes in warm shallow water when constipation occurs and I have heard of people using a small amount of mineral oil in extreme cases to help hardened stools pass. Can you feel fecal or hard lumps around the abdomen? I hope someone has better advise than me, but do work on finding a qualified herp vet in your animal it is a must when you own a reptile.

I have not had this experience, so this is just a thought. It was most likely constapated/impacted and you were able to help it get some of the poop out but there is most likely still a problem keeping it blocked up which is causing it not to be able to eat. I would take it to see a vet and figure out why it wasn't able to poop and then that will most likely solve the not eating problem. Good luck, hope everything turns out okay.

My corn snake didn't poop AT ALL for a month, so as you can imagine I was VERY worried because I had been feeding him properly and regulaly, there are no herp vets anywhere near where I live so I just used my common sense and gentely squeezed the snakes body and pushed towards the opening. Im glad to say that the poop DID come out kind of like a toothpaste effect.

But now my snake is a non feeder, the other day it did eat a pinky even though he is an adult snake but regurged :( I cant help but think that I caused my snake to be this ill. What should I do, any help will be greatly appreciated.

What are your temps and what kind of thermometer are you using?

Try giving it a bath. Sometimes this will help stimulate pooping.

Also, go to Kathy Loves site, or do a search for Nutribac. It's a probiotic. It could help begin to regulate the snakes intestinal track. This will be usefull once you get the issue resolved.

Has the snake been drinking water?

Does the snake have any swelling?

Has the snake inadvertently swallowed any substrate during feeding? Something that could cause constipation.

Try to think of something you could have done different, that may have caused this. I would also begin to search for a reptile vet and if you have to do a drive then so be it.

First things first, draw a warm bath in the sink or something and let him swim around.

Wayne

Whereabouts in the UK are you? Us Brits might be able to recommend a good reptile-savvy vet within reach of you. A normal "furry" vet can sell you Critical Care Formula, which you can put in his drinking water as a booster.

Any number of things could be happening now - you could have caused an internal injury by squeezing it, which has now affected its digestion. The reason for the initial constipation could be some sort of internal blockage.

I don't think you'll gain much by bathing it as - one way or another - you've already solved the constipation problem. If you do go that route, remember that the water must feel cool to you, not warm. A Corn's ideal maximum is below human body temperature.

When was the last time he ate, and what's his normal food?

I don't think you'll gain much by bathing it as - one way or another - you've already solved the constipation problem. If you do go that route, remember that the water must feel cool to you, not warm. A Corn's ideal maximum is below human body temperature.

Sorry, I disagree and if you need to verify what I am saying do a search.

Here is one link of many that are out there!

http://www.cornsnake.co.uk/Health.htm

I don't think you have solved the constipation issue by squeezing the corn snake. You may have moved things along a bit, but a warm (not hot) bath will help stimulate your snake.
Also, to help deal with constipation, the vet may have you put the snake on a probiotic like nutribac or yogurt. Consider doing a search for these as well.

It is normal for a reptile to not poop for a while as well. Some times a good handling session will give good stimulation.

Wayne

I think it should be said....because nobody else has said it...

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!

Do NOT EVER squeeze the poop out of a snake....you could very well have caused a massive internal injury...broken ribs etc. I don't understand how this would EVER seem like a good idea....

I think it should be said....because nobody else has said it...

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!

Do NOT EVER squeeze the poop out of a snake....you could very well have caused a massive internal injury...broken ribs etc. I don't understand how this would EVER seem like a good idea....

Or prolapse.

Back