• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I Need Serious Help

HadesBP18

Poopsy Woopsy Luver
I cannot get the temperatures of my corn's plastic enclosure up. I'm using a human heating pad set on medium. I can barely keep the viv around 75-80. I know this is bad for him but I can't seem to raise the temperature anymore unless I turn the heat on in my room (which can't be done all the time seeing as it costs mad money) How can I raise the temps when I can't use a light?

Also, there was dew droplets on the inside of his plastic thinger. Does that mean way too much humidity? Or that it is too cold?

Gah, I don't want him to be too cold >_<

erm now i wouldnt think that the droplets could be its to cold as its around 75-80. i think it could be that you have to much humidity,
i only rely on light bulbs and they keep my temps up to around 80-85, so why cant you use them? of course you have to keep your little snakies safe still, so get a safeguard that fixes around the lightbulb and that way they cant get to it.
just my opinion
:D

75 to 80 is actually a perfect temp for corns. They aren't tropical or desert snakes, so a temp around that is perfect. Since a regular heating pad would probably melt your plastic tank, the heating pad you're using now is fine for belly heat so your snake can thermoregulate its own temp for digestion, etc. If there are droplets inside the tank, then yes its too humid. Cut down on spraying the cage or moistening the substrate. A small spray once a week is okay, but you should get an adequate humidity percentage just from the water dish.

The weird thing is this...I don't mist at all. Alls I have is a water bowl. o_O

Okay...phew...well he likes to get under the newspaper and lay on the warm surface. Should I just take the newspaper out all together? Meh, need substrate I guess. He's hardly ever in any of his hide boxes, only under the newspaper.

Thanks everyone.

HadesBP18 said:
The weird thing is this...I don't mist at all. Alls I have is a water bowl. o_O

Okay...phew...well he likes to get under the newspaper and lay on the warm surface. Should I just take the newspaper out all together? Meh, need substrate I guess. He's hardly ever in any of his hide boxes, only under the newspaper.

Thanks everyone.

you should buy a bulb and a dimmer or a rheostat, and you do need new substrate like aspen or repti bark. and get a regulare uth its about 20$

mwr920 said:
You should buy a thermometer that tells humidity, very helpful.

its a hydrometer :) ,

I would be cautious about using a heating pad for long periods. They are not designed for continuous use, and you risk the danger of fire. Get a proper under tank heater and attach it to a tile or piece of glass from a picture frame if you're concerned about it melting the plastic, or use a heat lamp.

I keep my snakes in nice big clear tupperware containers, stacked with lights shining on them from the front. There is a spare light in case the temperatures drop down really low. It seems to work fairly well.

*shoves all the nonsense out of the way* lol

Okay so using a light from the front is okay? Because if I turn it off at night and use the heating pad that will keep the temps. up.

As for the substrate I really don't want to use aspen and especially not ReptiBark. I used that for my turtle and it was just too dusty and crappy. Maybe I'll just have to find a new way to keep the 'under the newspaper' thing inaccessible.

I think that the water was evaporating because I opened the shades in my room. The light shined right on his tank. Perhaps that caused the water to evaporate? Because the droplets were mainly on the side the light was hitting.

Thanks for all the help.

Newspaper is the most inexpensive substrate to use. Using it will be fine as long as you don't see the ink rubbing off onto the tank or the snake. I have used newspaper in the past, as have a lot of people on this forum, and haven't had any problems with it. When you have 20+ breeders, substrate can get expensive. If you want to give your snake more of a "substrate feel" then you can even shred the newspaper, and still be fine.

Ok, I'm sorry to bring this up again but...there are STILL dew droplets on the inside his plastic thinger and there was no exposure to the sun today to make it evaporate! Seriously, does anyone know what could be the problem?

Where is the water bowl located? Keep it on the cooler side of the tank, so it'll evaporate less. Or, you may want to put more ventilation holes for it to air out a bit more.

The water dish is in the center of the viv. I have over 35 air holes, can't imagine it not being aired out enough.

Some places are just more humid than others, so you might just need more ventilation. The plastic tubs tend to hold in more moisture. If you happen to be running air conditioning or heating, that dries the air out a bit too.

place water bowl at one end and your heat source at the other corns dont like it hot dont use a light for heat corns are nocturnal they also in much of their range the ars sub terristal and live in rodent trails under the ground . get a porceline heters that look like a light bulb and get to yourself a fan dimmer switch this will save you more money on the bill If you are useing a plastic box use some heating cable agin use a fan dimmer insted fo a light dimmer they are more dorable .

I appreciate your input Vinman but...I have no idea what you just said...

Anyways, I put a light in the front of the viv and the daytime temps are up to about 82! I was happy. I turn it off at night which allows them to sink down to about 72. Is this good?

I just put a whole bunch load of holes on the lid so we'll see how this works out.

Thanks everyone!

Back