• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I suppose you could call me a new member.

I know my join date says '03, but since creating this account I sort of lost interest in my corns for a time. Hence the low post count. I still kept good care of them, kept the cages clean, regular feeding, good temps, etc, but really did not have interest in discussing them. I came back here the other day and was immediately hooked again. I currently have two corns, one Amel, one Anery A, which I have posted pics of in the pictures forum. So, my name's Jordan and there's my introduction. :dancer:

Multitude of things really. More of a social life is one thing. I was getting out of the house more, so I wasn't spending as much time on the computer was one thing. Another is when I first got them I was very interested in all the different morphs and breeding so that was what most of my questions centered around. I soon lost interest in breeding realizing that I really didn't have room for more snakes, my snakes were entirely too young, and that I didn't have any place to sell the snakes breeding would have produced. So I dropped that plan and here we are.

hmm well your just a mite so i can understand, but you need to understand how much of a responsibility these animals are and i dont think its at all fair on them for you to just lose interest...

snakes can centre an amazing social life, believe me i have met some of the most amazing people into herps just like me, and i dont regret the time and effort i put into making sure my snakes have the best care possible... even if that means juggling my life around them and the rest of my zoo in a tiny flat :p

maybe this hobby just isnt right for you?

Tula, I don't know if that's really fair to say that. It sounds like he took great care of the snakes... I'm sure he will back that up in a later post... but just because he is not enthusiastic about snakes and doesn't want to post about them everyday doesn't mean he is a bad owner. Let's ask him. Bloughchi, how well did you take care of the snakes during this period? And if he didn't take care of them or disregarded their well-being, then I stand corrected and apologize.

lifes not fair, and at no point did i say he never took care of the snakes well... im sure he did or else they wouldnt be alive at this point now would they...

i was just a little annoyed at how someone could lose interest in their snakes because of a social life :(

I think that the context in which we're using lose interest differs. During this time, as I said, I still fed them on a regular schedule, cleaned their cages, checked the water every 1-2 days, and handled them, although not nearly as much as, in hindsight, I would have liked to. I've gone over with my parents and myself quite a few times over whether or not to give these snakes to a different home, and decided against it. It's not as if I completely forgot I had two animals living in my house with me.

I'm sure an amazing social life can revolve around reptiles, but I've yet to find anyone my age interested in snakes. One of the main causes for this would probably be the size of my town. (Around 8,000, pretty small) But I'm not entirely sure of that.

I read that in your first post so nowhere did i doubt you didnt take care of your snakes... please listen to that one statement.

I know what you mean about living in a small town, i lived in the higlands of scotland in a village with a population of under 1000... i only had 160 pupils in my school, of which 3 were interested in reptiles, but its what you make of it you know...

now that im away from there and enjoying city life, i have bonded with sooo many other reptile loves, and one day you will too :)

btw can we have some details about your corns eg:
length
weight

Weight: I'm not sure about for either of them. (Don't have a gram scale to use)
Length: I'm just estimating as I don't have Serpwidget's program or pictures that have a ruler or tape measure in them for a reference. Amel: ~3 feet. Anery: ~ 1' 6".
Ages: The Amel is 4, Anery is 1 and 1/2
Morphs: Amel and Anery A.

Pics in a second, They're uploading on Photobucket right now.

okie dokie they sound healthy anyways... although 3ft for an 02 is a little small?

maybe hes just a short snake lol

I am glad you took a new interest in posting on the forum. I understand what you mean, there's people that don't have a comp but love corn snakes, others that have corns but don't frequent this particular forum.
I don't think not being active on CS.com makes you a worse herper. I quit posting for a while last year because I was just going through a tough time in my life and then I came back, and I lurked quite a bit before joining. It can be intimidating to jump right into an established community, newbies sometimes do seem to go through a bit of good natured 'hazing' and those who seem to really neglect their animals get criticized but it's the welfare of their snakes most of us care about when we come across as harsh. Sure a couple of members are blatantly honest :) but this is basically a good place where everybody is welcome.

Back