• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ideas for a DIY Water Dragon viv

Hypancistrus

Hey folks,

Tara and I went to the local fish store today to get hermits for our marine tank... figured it'd be about $10 or $12, but the bill came to $155. :eek: !!!! Darn expensive hermits!! We ended up coming home with a Chinese Water Dragon, a subadult. We've always admired them and have attempted to raise a WC baby in the past, to no success. This one is older and has gotten through the tricky stage in spite of living with a person who had no clue how to care for them (he was simply dropped off, cage and all, at this store).

So he is in a 20 long now, which is way inappropriate, and I need to get him into a taller viv with solid sides ASAP.

I was thinking about possibly converting a piece of old furniture into a viv-- something like an armoire or other type of "deep" cabinet.

I'd love some suggestions on how to proceed... I'll need to heat it with bulbs, provide UVA/B, ventilate it, and also make the inside water proof.

I know that the cage has to be at least 6ft long and 2ft deep, or at least thats what I was told when We had ours down in Texas. I would think though that if you had an armoire with lots of places to climb it may not have to be so long, I know they love to climb.

I would think if you can get a big armoire that would work out pretty good :D Just remember they get like 3-4ft long.

I actually almost got one yesterday lol, but atm I dont have a proper cage for them so I had to tell my self no.

Any way good luck on the build :D looking forward to see how it turns out.

I know that the cage has to be at least 6ft long and 2ft deep, or at least thats what I was told when We had ours down in Texas. I would think though that if you had an armoire with lots of places to climb it may not have to be so long, I know they love to climb.

I would think if you can get a big armoire that would work out pretty good :D

Actually, from what I have read it is reccomended that the viv be taller than it is wide because they have a tendency to panic and run and bang their nose against the glass-- if there's less side to side space, they are less able to get up speed enough to hurt themselves seriously. They are climbers-- more vertically oriented than horizontal.

We're considering this to be more of an intermediate cage, with the knowledge that he will eventually need a larger adult cage when he reaches full size at around 2'.

ya I have been told by 2 different people go wide, then had 1 at the petstore the other day say go tall. But then again I have read to feed mostly greens, then had read some where else to feed mostly crickets.

I have noticed almost all vivs on youtube were wide but also very tall with lots of places to climb.

I was just repeating some information I had read and been told. :D I claim to be no expert lol.

We've found some good candidates for modifiable (is that even a word?!) vivs on Craigslist here. Waiting to hear back from some people.

Yes, we found one that is about 6' tall, with 1' or so of that being a cabinet in the bottom half of the unit. So the workable area for the dragon will be about 5'. Guy wanted $150, we offered $100 and he accepted. Now we just have to pick it up and begin formulating some plans for how we will modify it.

How is this coming along? I have been busy with work and didnt notice any other threads so I thought I would ask how it was coming along :D

I've also heard of people taking the shower stalls and making those into vivs! Not the huge ones but those small one person ones.

Back