• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Identification?

sumguy

Spending most of my time in bike forums and someone posted a pic of snake found on path in Santa Clarita, CA. Any idea what type it is?
snake_on_bike_path.jpg

How come I can never find a coachwhip??? Cycling is an excellent way to find snakes, BTW.

How come I can never find a coachwhip??? Cycling is an excellent way to find snakes, BTW.

Car free almost a year. Unfortunately NW Ohio doesn't have too much variety in reptiles. Some of the bike people thought it was an escaped pet cornsnake but the head coloring being that much different from the body made me doubt it.

I'm 17 miles from work. Five less, and I'd be biking. If gas gets to be much more, I may still consider it...

Some people with longer commutes only do it a couple times a week or bike part way, drive/bus the rest. I'm 4.2 each way. Only riding is commuting, errands and grocery. Have lost 30lbs and BP back to normal. When I get a better bike, will try longer rides (25-100+) and more rec riding. It can be addicting too.

Cycling is great! Work is 7mi there, 7 back... its such a bummer when the weather makes it impossible though...

You guys are lucky. I'd have to leave at 5AM to get to work at 6:30. I have really good rain gear, though. They even sell rain shorts now- those would be great for afternoon thunderstorms when it's 90 degrees out.

Spending most of my time in bike forums and someone posted a pic of snake found on path in Santa Clarita, CA. Any idea what type it is?
snake_on_bike_path.jpg

Masticophis flagellum piceus, or Red Coachwhip. Some will also refer to it as a Red Racer, but it is truly a coachwhip. Large and usually aggressive. One of the "I need to find one" species on my list. Good Score!!

He looks like he's ready to take a bite out of someone!

Well, I got my goal snake of the year, a black racer, which did bite as expected. My new goal is catch any water snake.

Back