• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

If it bite me once will it do it again.

Hanuki

My snake bit me for no reason it wasn't hungry it well handled why did it do it if i try pick it back up would it bite me again? :crazy02:

It might? ...Why? ....Did it hurt.
You just have to go in with a blind eye and pick it up, don't hesitate.
You have to let it know that you're going to pick it up if it bites you or not.
You don't want to condition it (or you) to bite every you but you hand in.
You could also wear rubber gloves for a while, until it stops.

Good Luck :cheers:

snake bite

No it would be safe to handel
i would also leavce the snake alone for a while as this could mean

it was testing out its suroundings
it is infact hungery
u smell like pray/acted like pray or something was other wise attracting the snake
or u may have been holding it to tight with out realising it

iv done it my self by with out meanding to my big dog had gotten in to the house when i had my little snake out and my dog jumped up on me wanting to playwith me not wanting to get knocked over with ismost offten the case with my dog drop the snake i insticktivly tighten my grip and got bitten by the snake im always very gental with the little snake leting her rome freely in my hands no grip at all
but other wise it should be safe to handel the snake after a day or so and it should not bite unless something cases it like your sent or something

by the way did u handel a bird, touched meat or any thing that might have trigerd that

Hanuki said:
My snake bit me for no reason it wasn't hungry it well handled why did it do it if i try pick it back up would it bite me again? :crazy02:

yes..................................especially if you:

1. just woke it up or stick your hand in it's hide
2. reach in too fast and scare it
3. smell like supper

It might. Is it a young snake? The little ones are more prone to bite than the adults. The past couple of weeks I've been getting bit at least 10 times a day by all of the babies. I know that even if it didn't really hurt, encountering an aggressive snake can make you a little nervous. Lennycorn is right on both accounts. If you just go for it and take the bites, it doesn't condition the snake as much as it conditions you. You get used to the little bites and realize that it's no big deal. But if the snake is making you too nervous to handle it, I'd just use a glove until it calms down a bit more. If it's a new snake, give it a little more time to get comfortable in it's new home (5-7 days.) After it settles in (or if it's already settled in) start handling it every 1-2 days (with glove or without.)

:-offtopic Nagini_snow- spellcheck is your friend :rolleyes:

Uh oh...Now that it's had a taste of flesh that snake will never be the same:D

Only kidding, of course. There's no way to say for sure. Maybe you startled him or just caught him in a grumpy mood. Just keep handling like you normally do and see what happens.

Chances are you're going to be bit again in your lifetime. Just remember not to put it back in its viv after it bites you because then it will learn that if it bites you it can go back.

Due to various circumstances, I've not had time recently to spend handling my corns (apart from quick pick-ups at feeding/cleaning time), with the result that a couple have got pretty nippy again. Now that I have time again I'm working on a 're-conditioning' program with them, which is basically handling them everyday with gloves on. Bite frequency is going down every day, but it takes quite a while as I don't put them back in their vivs until we've had some calm handling time.

Note: Make sure to get close-fitting gloves, especially if we're talking little baby corns. If your gloves are too thick/big, it's hard to get the pressure right when you handle them, so they might either zip out of your grasp or you could squish them too hard.

Hanuki said:

As a very wise person once told me when I asked a similiar question the conversation went like this:

Me: Does it bite?

Wise Person: Does it have a mouth?

Me: Yes.

Wise Person: Then it has the ability to bite!!!

O.K. so he was more like a wise guy, but you get the point.

He could be "stressed" from being handled to much. Mt snake was once "stressesd" from being handled alot. So what i would recogmend is leave the snake alone for awhile maybe an hour or two. that try holding it.

~becca

:..becca..: said:
He could be "stressed" from being handled to much. Mt snake was once "stressesd" from being handled alot. So what i would recogmend is leave the snake alone for awhile maybe an hour or two. that try holding it.

~becca
This is NOT good advice. Do you really think that bothering a snake every two hours is going to REDUCE stress? It is apparent from other threads that you and your sister do not have a clue what you are doing. Why would you feel qualified to dispense advice? :mad:

Roy Munson said:
This is NOT good advice. Do you really think that bothering a snake every two hours is going to REDUCE stress? It is apparent from other threads that you and your sister do not have a clue what you are doing. Why would you feel qualified to dispense advice? :mad:
And then I got this :grin01:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roy Munson again.

I got that, too!

I'm sorry, but Dean is right, that was NOT decent advice at all.

Becca said:

Becca, how can you tell if your snake is stressed or not? Exactly how much experience do you have with snakes? :rolleyes: All I can say is, I feel sorry for your snake if you seriously think that holding it every hour is acceptable.

And I'm sorry, but I have to ask - if your snake WAS handled a lot, and now you think every hour is fine, how often were you holding it before?? Every ten minutes?? I can only assume you got this 'advice' from your adventures with your own corn...

Me, three!

Only handle the snake once per day. Start off with about 10 minutes at a time, then gradually work your way up to longer periods of handling.

I was just bit the other day by one of my older corns, he'd just shed not more then 24 hrs before I tried to pick him up and he was still a bit grumpy and irritated. I waited for him to back off and then picked him up anyway just to look him over and let him know that I wasn't going to hurt him and that I wasn't scared of him. Turns out he was also hungry at the time.

The best thing is not to be nervous when you go to pick him up again. They tend to know when you are scared of them. The rest of the advice that was given, with the exception of handling every 2 hrs, was pretty good. Just keep in mind that the snake is just trying to protect itself or let you know he doesn't want to be disturbed. :)

Oh, and BTW...

I tried! lol.

Jenn

Back