• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I'm a noobie at this. Corn snake help?

Tjcook1990

I bought my first snake ever which is the corn snake of course.
I'm really interested in becoming a corn snake breeder.
I just wanna know the pros and cons and if it's worth the time and money I'm willing to put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most folk here don't actually make much, if any, money from breeding. We do it because we love the species, or the genetics, or the sight of noses poking out of eggs. In a good year I make just enough to cover food and expenses for the adults/keepers. Last year, after taking into account that I had to spend $900 on mice thanks to a shortage plus electricity plus tables plus hotel, I was in the red. I'll be happy to break even this year because I'm going to end up with few clutches than I'd hoped thanks to my *males* not cooperating. -_-

Are you prepared for the horrific deformities that can occur, and can you humanely euthanise them?
Are you able to set money aside for veterinary care for your female up to and including expenses for in case of egg-binding?
Are you able to house and feed up to 30 hatchlings for a year or more as you try to sell them? I still have 10 babies from last year, though 3 of those will be going to their new home in a week or so with any luck.
Are you willing to deal with customers?

It's a lot to think about to work thru I just wanna know its possible.
It seems like something you really have to give it your all.
I think me and my gf are willing to struggle the hobby and get something out of it.
I just needed and idea of it.
I'm gotta take it one day at a time and see if ima be able to take on the responsibility

Start with your one snake, and raise it to adulthood. During those 3 years, keep track of how much it costs to feed it, how much the electricity costs, how long you spend each week cleaning/feeding, etc. Research veterinary hospitals in your area that see snakes and see how much they cost for exams, etc.

Spend those 3 years researching genetics and morphs so you can figure out what you want to work with, and to find the right animals for it.

Thank you a lot ima do just that.
Ima do as much research on cone snakes as possible

Back