• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

im newww

ccky

my corn hes about 3 feet long and eats like a hoss

my new snow corn i had to unfortunately buy because i wouldnt think id be able to actually find one while herping

also my rat snake has something wrong with his back any advice on what to do for him?

Hello and welcome to the forum. You have some very cute snakes. I see though that you have the corn on rocks, I would highly recommend switching to another bedding such as aspen or eco-earth, much better for the snake.

It appears that your rat snake has a kink in his spine (at least from this angle). I have no experience with kinks myself, but other members should be able to help you.

thanks alot man, i really didnt think about the bedding, ive got my lizards in another tank and thats just what ive always used but ill be changing that here soon for sure

oh yay I'm stoked to see more members located in Ky. Welcome to the forum! Some pretty snakes ya have there.

I don't have experience with kinks either and I'd hate to give any incorrect advice so I'll not touch that. :sidestep:

Hi, welcome to the forum!

So I hate to be the first one to ask about this, but are you keeping wild-caught corn snakes? If so, I personally don't recommend it. Aside from the fact that corns are readily available from breeders (which means that the animals are already used to captivity, so less stressed, and also usually healthier), it's not exactly good to be taking animals from wild populations. As a biology major who has learned a lot about ecosystems over the years, this kind of irks me. If you're not keeping wild caught snakes, then please forgive my little rant.

Has that snake always had a kink, or is it an injury? If that is a spinal deformity you can treat the snake like normal, just be careful to ensure that digestion is taking place properly and it's not getting backed up or stuck. I have a corn with a serious spinal kink and she is fine at 2 years of age. Probably wont live as long as a healthy corn but still is a bundle of fun and energetic.

my rat and my big corn are both wild, i respect your concern i guess but id rather keep wild ones because i had to put effort into finding them and honestly care more about them than the ones i could buy, i dont mean to offend you or anyone else i respect your opinion but thats just how i feel about it. as for the rat snake it had this kink or injury whenever i caught him, he was curled up in a concrete manhole where i work so its possible it could have been done there, at first he wasnt digesting the mice he would just spit them back up but i fed him yesterday and he actually kept it down so i hope hes alright

my rat and my big corn are both wild, i respect your concern i guess but id rather keep wild ones because i had to put effort into finding them and honestly care more about them than the ones i could buy, i dont mean to offend you or anyone else i respect your opinion but thats just how i feel about it. as for the rat snake it had this kink or injury whenever i caught him, he was curled up in a concrete manhole where i work so its possible it could have been done there, at first he wasnt digesting the mice he would just spit them back up but i fed him yesterday and he actually kept it down so i hope hes alright

It doesn't offend me, it's just not something I necessarily support. In the case of your rat snake, he may very well be better off with you than in the wild as a result of that spine injury. Also, both of these species are common enough that you're not really doing a great disservice to the environment - I would just hope that you can also appreciate the necessity of leaving wild animals in the wild. They don't always adjust well to captivity.

I do hope your rat snake manages to keep food down - multiple regurgitations can seriously upset the digestive system to the extent that they can't recover. Hopefully that kink isn't seriously affecting him. You won't really know for a few days after feeding whether or not he's going to keep it down, so keep looking out.

Back