• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I'm sure this was already...

DeathCrest

sune-ku wa kawaii desu!!
What is a pure corn exactly? I'm positive this question was asked before but i couldn't find anything in my search that would explain it to me. I know some are cross breeds and some are "pure"corns but what breeds would be considered what?
What is the general importance of having a pure corn and does it take anything away from simply having a mutt(excuse my language i couldn't think of anything else to say). I know that to get some colors people crossbreed and some of the results are amazing but I still don't know what to consider a pure corn and not a pure corn :shrugs:
Thanks alot

Thats a good question and I will be waiting for the answers myself, I know nothing but have always thought the Okeetees (I know that relates to the region they were caught) were the pure type. (just my opinion) Let's see what the big guns have to say....

When you ask about Cross breeds, a Jungle corn is a cross between Corn and King. then, you also have the cross between corn and Rat...not sure the name here.

As for Pure corns, I would say that any corn that is caught in the wild would be considered pure. Okeetees, normals...ect in the wild.

but, I too will avidly wait for some of the bigger guys to post in here about this.

"Pure" corns are Pantherophis guttata(formerly known as Elaphe guttata). There are (or were) several subspecies, and the one we are most familiar with is P. guttata guttata(red rat snake). Others include (included) P. guttata emoryi (Great Plains or Emory's rat snake) and P. guttata rosacea (rosy rat snake).

Of course, the people in charge of the scientific naming of species and subspecies never seem to be happy with their classifications and change things just when you get used to something (I'm still thinking in Elaphe).

In the wild, I'm sure that subspecies can and do interbreed where their territories over-lap. It is less likely that similar yet seperate species interbreed, but it is not entirely unheard of. And for species that are totally different, interbreeding probably rarely occurs in the wild, but more often seen in captivity. And when the geneticists cross dogs and cats, I'm leaving the entire veterinary field. Heck, they've already crossed dogs with rats...well, where do YOU think Chihuahuas came from?

Small correction it is now Pantherophis guttatus I don't think they left any subspecies intact. The Emoryi was elevated to a species Pantherophis emoryi and the rosy rat just fell into Pantherophis guttatus.

Susan said:
"
In the wild, I'm sure that subspecies can and do interbreed where their territories over-lap.

These are often called intergrades such as between corns and emoryi if you get an amel in the mix you can make creamsicles

Back