• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I'm sure you all can help

erosdq

This is not about a corn but it is about a python.I have a question. I was at petsmart today to by some frozen feeders and the one guy that was there told me he had a baby python in back that was free because some one found it in there back yard and it had a slice on it there vets stitched it up and they can’t sell it cause it was found in the wild he just started eating crickets cause he is still to small for small pinkies and he his having a really bad shed cause the humidity in there is bad in the tank and I don’t know what kind of Python it is I was wondering if I was to take this snake what would I have to worry about also what kind of stuff should I find out about it I never got a reptile like this I allways know about it before I got them this is new for me any help would be great
Thanks

A python should not be eating crickets. If it is too small for mouse pinkies, there is a problem, either with the snake, or the people feeding it.

A python that has been released, and obviously had a few "scuffles" of one sort or another could be host to any number of parasites, both internal and external, not to mention infection from the wound, as well as any secondary infections from any parasitic infestations.

You need to know what kind of pythoin it is, what kind of shape it is in, and you need to reasonably assess whether or not this snake is worth your time and effort to bring back aorund to good health. IF the snake has a more than reasonable chance of accomplishing this, or if trying to keep the snake alive is causing undue stress or pain, in which case the snake should be euthanized.

Taking on a snake like this *could potentially* lead to issues, especially if you have other boids in your collection, but to any other snake or reptile in your house as well. Of course, it could also be a fantastic score, as evidenced by 4 of my current snakes.

I would recommend going to the shop with someone well knowledgable in general snake health and husbandry, and seriously look at the snake, and assess it's situation. It's really the only way to know if it is a "good deal", or a potential disaster...

And try to remember that no one can rescue them all, though some of us do try...

I did see it The thing seems very well the slice healed up nice I think the true reason behind the crickets is because they cost 12 cents each and the mice are $10 a pack and in there mind I’m not making money off of it so why spend money the color of it was black and gray as for putting it in the same tank with another reptial I would not I have one snake now and I would not put it in with it the guy I was talking to acted like he knew it all but he truly didn’t know a thing I’m going to call the store manger in the morning and talk to him I was looking at some pics and it actually looks like this Boa

surinam_boa_constrictor_juv.jpg

yeah, that's a Common Boa Constrictor. I don't know what to make of this. I'm guessing that the person at the pet shop didn't know what was going on. I don't think a bao would even take cricket. I've never tried so I don't know but I dout it. It looks nicely shed there at least. I don't know, if the pet shop guy was calling it a python I think that he had the story wrong, I just don't believe that a boa that was seen and treated by a vet would still be called python by anyone who knew what was going on with it. And if they are trying to feed crickets and it doesn't eat them, well, just hope someone takes it in the next few weeks. At least snakes don't food every day so it might survive a place like that with little ill effect in the end. I'd take for free, Boa Constrictors are awesome!

I can't tell from the picture if it's a common or a red tail. Either way, it shouldn't have crickets in the tank with it...crickets get bored and start chewing on your animals if they aren't eaten right away.

Also, I wasn't worried about you co-habbing...I was worried about other potential diseases that can be transferred without direct contact, such as IBD, mites, ticks, and some forms of URI.

It looks nice in the picture, but again, I would want to see it in person before deciding. I would also want to know if it was a BCC or a BCI. Count the saddles. If it has 21 or more saddles from the neck to just above the cloaca, it is a BCI. If it has 21 or fewer, it would be a BCC. As far as I know, that is an accurate way of telling the difference between the two. The tail looks like a red tail, BCC, not a common, to me, but...I'm not sure.

As far as the slice...from the looks of it, is is newly born. The "slice" may very well be the healing umbilical union. This thing could have slithered out of the cage it was born in without ever being missed. And since boas have live births, it's much more difficult to know how many offspring there are...or should be.

psssh you guys that was just a picture that reminded erosdq of the snake thats not the snake at the shop...

NFS07 said:
psssh you guys that was just a picture that reminded erosdq of the snake thats not the snake at the shop...
Oh...right...I missed that... :punch:

Back