• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Im thinking of purchasing another snake

Stock350

Modern Day Cowboy
Now, those of you who have read my previous posts, know that I have never really cared for snakes until I held one. Then I bought her and I love her.

Anyway, besides all of that, I'm already wanting another snake. Crazy, eh?

Ive researched the Hognose and my buddy can get me one down at the pet store too. So aquiring one is no problem.

I am simply interested in any additional comments or advice about Hognoses that any of you might want to share.

All comments and advice is well appreciated and welcome.

Thank you!

:flames:

I love them. I'd make absolutely certain it is feeding on unscented pinky mice. Like go to the store and watch it eat one. And be aware that a lot of hoggies go off feed for months at a time, usually in the fall/winter, so if that is going to stress you, maybe it isn't a good choice. Other than that, I am not aware of any issues making them more difficult.

You do mean a Western Hoggy, right?

Nanci

You know the hoggy is probably going to do a lot of hissing and puffing up at you, right? I think they tame out of this to some extent. (My Eastern hasn't- she still thinks she can scare me!) I think you should go see the exact snake you are thinking of purchasing, handle it, see what you think- see how it feeds. I didn't think I was interested in Westerns- I just thought they weren't as attractive with their rattlesnake coloring- although I thought they were cute. They just didn't appeal to me so much. Then, when I was at the dealer's picking up my tri-color, he casually placed this WC female Western hoggy in my hands, and it was like OMG love at first sight!!! Fortunately, she was part of a breeding program and not for sale, or I'd have come home with two snakes...

Nanci

Hoggies are great little guys. Do be careful that they are eating unscented pinks - lots of them start on scented and are hard to switch over. We currently have five and most of them like to talk at some point or another (aka hiss at us). Our two youngest are named Sir Hiss and Gabbi because they hiss so much but as soon as we pick them up they're fine. It's fun having them try to nose through your fingers too - it tickles.

~Katie

:-offtopic Hey Nanci, that western girl I still have is doing great - calling your name too ;)

I know!!! I just need to decide on if I'm getting the Jungle Habitats caging or not. I want to. Can't decide. Too many questions. I _have_ my Christmas snake money put away!

Nanci

Sorry to steal this, but what is a unscented pinky. Are you saying to defrost a f/t in water first before feeding?? :shrugs: Newbie here :grin01:

Hoggies are notorious for being difficult to get started feeding on pinks, because, like many snakes, when they are born they feed on amphibians and/or small reptiles, and only as adults are large enough to catch small rodents. One method to trick them into eating pinks is to scent the pink with toad, frog or anole- either by rubbing it on the scenting animal or putting a piece of it's skin or shed on the pink's nose. Then the object is to gradually wean them off the scented pink. You may have read about Nightwing, the little kingsnake who was a non-feeder that learned to eat gecko-scented pinks. Fine, if you have a supply of scenting animals, but it just adds another level of difficulty.

Nanci

Ive been doing a lot of looking around for another snake. I dont want another Corn snake, that is for sure. I'd rather have a variety. I love corns, dont get me wrong, but I'd like a different snake. I weas reading up on Hogs and they seem very interesting.

So we shall see. I will talk with my buddy more tomorrow at work about Hogs and see what he thinks.

Thanks again for all the comments! :shrugs:

I think hoggies are a fine choice- as long as yours is eating unscented.

Kings are also extremely cool.

Milksnakes might not be the best bet- kind of jumpy for the first two-three years, and they tend to be reclusive. Not that I would trade mine for anything in the world.

Nanci

What does all the numbers mean by the type and name of your snakes at the bottom of your posts? Still a newbie here. :) :flames:

Stock350 said:
What does all the numbers mean by the type and name of your snakes at the bottom of your posts? Still a newbie here. :) :flames:
this is a fast listing of the animals you have and their sex.
1.0.0 (1 male)
0.1.0 (1 female)
0.0.1 (unknown sex)

As for Hoggies, I have one right now and he is a great little guy and off feed. It is stressing my Girlfriend out to no end. I tell her he is fine right now and will resume after awhile.
For my personal recommendations on the snakes is to keep your corn for about a year before you decide to jump into other snakes. I would wait a bit before testing the waters again. I noticed you posted on another thread that you feed your snake live feed. I would try converting your snake to frozen.
I have a Mexican Black King snake that has been nipped a few times cause she will only eat live. I stun them the best that I can but she has a few little nicks here and there. Hopefully on her next shed she will be fine. But a live mouse defending itself from a snake can do some serious damage.

Yes, so I've heard. Right now, she is feeding on Pinkies because she is just a hatchling. When she gets older and can handle larger prey, I will need to get her on frozen foods. But I have a few aces up my sleeve if she doesn't take them right away. :)

Ive been reading this outstanding Corn snake book and researching Corns online since I got her. I love her so much. :)

Katie, anyone-

Do Westerns like to climb? My Eastern is off the ground about 50% of the time. I didn't think the Tri-Color climbed, but then I found out he did- although it's not frequent. Just thinking about if I had a Western, how I'd set her up...

Nanci

My westerns are usually always digging in the aspen. I have yet to see them try to get out (other than when I open the cage and they see my hand come in and get curious).

~Katie

Back