• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

im worried

after alot of consideration i bought a starter kit yesterday.
includes: Heat-mat, Cleaning spray/dissenfectant, hide hole, water dish book viv annd amell cornsnake.

Ive wanted one for a long time now and researched a fair deal into them. I have a large 40 gallon viv for it to live once grown, it is six months old ive been told, and is just over a foot long. I fed him yesterday one fuzzy.

Im worried, yesterday he was very lively, but this morning when i woke up i found him, he had completly burried himself in the bedding, when he eventually came out he curled up in the middle of the tank and didnt move at all for about 4 hours, he took some water and has now hid himself in the hide on the warm gradiant of the tank. he hasnt moved for several hours now, is it me jsut being paranoid or may there be something wrong?!

edit: i posted this in the wrong forum 'feeders' by mistake, now its in the right place :/

Nothing wrong. Just let him settle in for a few days. Hatchlings will bury themselves to feel secure.

A few suggestions:

Get another hide so that you can one on the cool side and one on the warm side. Toilet paper tube would be perfect.

Get a thermostat or a rheostat for your heater. A UTH (under the tank heater) can get to be 110F in an hour. A rheostat (a light dimmer) will help you keep the temp at 80-85F.

I wouldn't be worried.He's just taking it easy, digesting his meal. In another 24 hours, he'll probably be up and about. I fed my two babies last night and they immediately gulped down their individual pinkies and then buried themselves under the aspen substrate. I can see them through the bottom of their vivs, but from the top they are just two bumps in the aspen. I don't expect to see them again for another 36 hours. So much for Corn Snakes as companion animals, :)

Like BIll said, he is just digesting. You'll want to leave him alone for about 48 hours after feeding so he doesn't regurge his meal. You'll also want to leave him for about a week to get settled into his new home.

agreed

there could be a few reasons for this, like already stated, digesting (snakes need heat to help them digest so he'll probably be at the warmest end for a while, secondly you said its a new snake, so he'll be abit stressed that he's in new surroundings, give him a week or two so he can gain confidence, to help this get a few small hides for him to hide in. and lastly i know most snakes tend to be quiet during the day and more active at night, as mine is. so dont worry yet it'll just take some time for himto get used to the set up/routine. Good luck!!!

thnx

Thanks for your replys and advice, ive added an extra hide (loo roll centre)
He has been more active today, exploring his new hide and has taken to hiding away behind his water bowl.

Gonna invest in some elctro probe thermometer's this weekend.
I also popped into the reptile house today(where i bought him), the girl said she thinks he may shead soon. witch may also explain his behavour.

Question, Thermostats and stuff? you guys know any decent brands ect.?

Gonna carpet out the viv ive got for when he's older, i wanna get it set up real nice.

thnx
sean

I don't recommend the carpet personally, I would just use papel towels without print, it's cheap and easy for them to hide in/underneath. I've heard the carpet can give the snake rug burns and they have a tough time hiding underneath it (I've heard, I've always just sued paper towels).

As far as his behavior it's perfectly normal. It's not recommended you handle him until 2 days after he eats so he can digest.

Congrats on your new pet.

Kevin

Have a look on Ebay, Habistat (Search for the brand name) they do a really great Thermostat with an inbuilt temperature probe

Aislinn said:
I don't recommend the carpet personally, I would just use papel towels without print, it's cheap and easy for them to hide in/underneath. I've heard the carpet can give the snake rug burns and they have a tough time hiding underneath it (I've heard, I've always just sued paper towels).

The thing about carpet is that it is hard to keep clean and disinfected. Carpets provide a prime breeding ground for bacteria. You will need at least two pieces, and you will need to disinfect one each time you clean the cage. Then it will take a while to dry, thus the second piece.

yea, thats what i had in mind :p

right, i havnt properly handeld him yet, (or her)
i tried yesterday, just put my hand in the cage whilst h was active, he seemed stressed so i let him be.

again just now, put my hand in the cage to see if he was interested, and he went on the deffensive, looked as if he was gonna strike at me so again, ive let him alone.

i dont just want to reach in and pick him up!!

how do i build trust with him? i take it, its not good to just reach in and pick the little fella up!
i dont want to stress my snake in any way, any ideas?

Snakes are not like dogs. They won't come to you voluntarily. You'll have to just reach in and pick him up. That's the only way to do it. Yeah, he's going to seem stressed and defensive at first, but he'll soon get used to you.

i came home from work today 2 find he has shed, witch was wierd i expected his eyes to go cloudy, witch they never...anyway, he shed perfectly no problems at all came off in one clean go.

Still is very violent towards me! strikes when i go to pick him up.
:(

Just pick him up anyhow =) My hatchling bit me probably 100 times, it doesn't hurt at all. Don't let him scare you off by being deffensive, I let my older male do that and hes unhandlable now ~.~ It took about 2 weeks with my hatchling but now I can pick her up and shes fine, no biting and no more musking, its best to just reach in and pick it up quickly.

Back