• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

impaction ??

baldy pete

hi everyone,its been a long time since i posted.

i think my young corn ( sid ) might of swallowed some substrate :eek:,when i fed her last week i noticed that there was some substrate sticking to the fuzzy as she was swallowing, im not sure if she did take the substrate down with her food as i couldnt see her properly while she done the final gulp.
i have handled and fed her since , there doesnt seem to be any strange lumps or bumps on here anywhere, i was just wondering on how long i would be able to tell if she has swallowed the substrate or what signs should i look out for before going to the vets.

all advice is greatly appreciated.

Although I have no personal experience in this inparticular, if i were you, i don't think I'd be worrying unless there were any changes in your snake.

As long as its behaving, eating and excreting normally etc.

All the best

Tom

As Tom said, if all bodily functions continue as normal, then there shouldn't be a problem.

In future to avoid this problem, you could feed in a seperate container free of any substrate whatsoever. Feed, leave the snake for 30 minutes, then return it to its tank (a gentle pick-up and put back down won't do any harm)

cheers for the advice lads, learnt that lesson,a bit late in learning in , but fed her in a seperate container and gently slid her back into her usual house.

hopefully a lesson learnt without any harm.

The other advantage to feeding her in another container is she will wont associate you reaching into her tank with food so it helps to prevent feeding response strikes at you.

I have a question on this topic, I bought a Caramel male on Thursday on Sunday when I was handleing him I noticed some substright sticking out of the vent area, very carfully I removed it. tried to feed today (he has not been messed with since Sunday) and he will not feed, I have not seem and poop in his cage. I have him on Aspen the bedding that I removed looked like the stuff that is close to the Mulch/coconut stuff. How can I tell if he is or not blocked and what can I do? I have a great Vet in the area for Reptiles if that is what is needed. But if I can do it at home then that would be great, I am a Vet assistant, so not totally clueless. If pictures are needed let me know and I can try to get some. Temps during the day are around 83 and at night around 75.

Amanda

Back