• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

IMPOSSIBLE TO HANDLE.

Daveo

Its absolutly IMPOSSIBLE to handle my snake.

Ive had the snake about a month now and i cannot handle it AT ALL. I just tried a second ago and my finger did not even touch the snake i just got close and the snake sprinted across the viv and tried to dig through a PAPER TOWEL?

The snake even gets scared when i turn a light on and runs off and hides. I cant even look at the thing. Im not allowed. The snake said.

WHY?

I have tried that too. The snake has bit me more times than i can count and doesn't stop thrashing around.

This is normal. To your snake, you are a big huge monster that he is scared of.

Even if you have hides in the snake's viv, you need to add more. I use empty toilet paper rolls. This will give him more places to hide. If he feels safe, he will calm down some.

Then you will need to pick him up. Even when he runs. Just scoop your hand under him and lift him up. Be ready, he wil try to run when you hold him. With your hand scooped, pull him close to your body. Then let him run from one hand to the other. Do this for minutes at a time and eventually, he will realize you are not gonna hurt him and will let you hold him.

Well i dont put it straight back, i try to let it get used to me before that but no luck. When i do eventually put the snake back it doesn't come out for the rest of the night.

USE GLOVES! This will let you calm down, which your snake will sense. This has worked for many people! Once the snake sees you as not being a threat, it will calm down and the gloves will come off!!!

Good luck!

Maybe more hides and substrate to burrow in, like aspen will help the snake feel more secure. If it makes you feel any better, I find 'fiesty' babies like that are usually good eaters. This little beast bites me all the time, but they usually grow out of it

Attachments

• 78a.JPG
    78a.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 295
For my sub-adult ratsnake, who'd draw blood, I used thin cotton gardening gloves until he gave up biting

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. If the bites hurt or scare you too badly then go with a Very thin cotton type pair of gloves.... I personally hate wearing gloves because it means I can feel the snake as well as with my bare hands. :) I had one hatchling come to me that ... wow! she stuck at Everything!! She was a real wild child so to help her to calm down... I put her in a small gladware (hatchling size) and just messed with her when I changed out the paper towel, water and then for feeding.... I did this for like 2-3 weeks... She slowly realized that I really ment no harm and started to calm down... I then started to handle her 1-2 times a week for just a few moments at a time... now, several months later.. she is pretty calm and no longer bites, but is still abit shy :) I wish you all the luck in getting your baby to calm down and not see you as a chef :)

There are loads of hides though? The snake had wood chippings to bury in, two half toilet rolls, a cardboard box to hide in, an arch peice of drift wood, a big water bowl which it often hides behind and a large plastic plant. There serioudly is no more room for anything else, but yeah the snakes a really good eater, a pinky every four days no fuss.

cotton gloves are best, although i have on occasion used a bandanna wrapped around my hand and then, once out of the tank, removed the bandanna. This was for my okeetee that used to bite, hiss, rattle his tail, and musk. Now he's MUCH better and you can handle him no problem.

Are you afraid of being bitten? It's hard to believe he doesn't eventually settle down. How many minutes do you handle him for?

Thinking back another thread and Janine's question; what are the temps? If the snake is too warm it will be cranky. I also agree with Mike they calm down as they get older. susang

Back