• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

In Loving Memory

sweet~nichole~marie

Tallulah's Mama
Today we said good-bye to our yellow lab, Klondyke. He was almost 13 years old. I thought I would have more time with him, but his body decided otherwise. Cancer . . . the aggressive kind, the invasive-in-the-blood-vessels-systemic kind, the kind that does not care he was my baby.

I got Klondyke when he was 3 months old. I was in college in California and he was my first dog that was truly my own. He went every where with me. Onto campus, around town, on errands, to the beach. We were rarely apart for more than 2-3 hours.

I remember going to work one day and seeing a woman walking her old, old lab along the road and I started crying, thinking that would be him some day. When I got to work my co-workers said "But Nichole, he is only 5 months old. You will have him for a long time." Not long enough . . .

Klondyke was very food motivated . . . you could teach him anything if you had a cookie in your hand. Roll over? Piece of cake (especially if he got to eat it). Speak? No problem, now he was able to tell me to give him the cookie. Climb up on the counter to get the leftovers when you are gone? Not a problem for this wonder-mutt.

When he was younger I used to do agility with him. He learned the weave poles in one night. Like I said, that dog would do anything for a cookie.

Unfortunately, he never knew when to stop eating. He put himself into the emergency room several times by getting into food he shouldn't have. One time he ate a pound of uncooked rice. You would think it wouldn't be very appealing, but he thought he would try it. Another time he ate 10 lbs of dog food at my sister's house (silly me, I forgot to warn her not to leave a bag of food in the hallway). He would steal tupperware containers in the hopes there would be food in them and had been known to eat orange scented Clorox wipes because he thought they were food. He was an awesome dog.

He was so mellow and so loving. Babies (of the human and furry kind) could climb all over him and one of our cats used to sleep on his back. He didn't mind. At the dog park he wasn't that interested in hanging out with the other dogs - he would rather make the rounds and greet all the people, spreading a little bit of the Klondyke love. He was the type of dog who was always wagging his tail (which should have been registered as a lethal weapon) and looked like he was smiling.

As a baby he would sneak into the bathroom, grab the toilet paper end, and run with it through the house. He also went crazy if you said anything about going for a ride in the car. He loved to go anywhere, as long as it meant he got to be with you. And oh how he loved the beach. As soon as we got close enough that he could smell the salt air, he was sticking his nose out the window, taking big deep breaths. He would chase a ball for hours into the waves and never cared he got a mouth full of sand.

And being a lab, he had to get into any mud puddle, stream, creek, pond, or river that we came across.

His nickname was Puppy, because he never really grew up. He only started to act like an adult when arthritis set in and even then, it wasn't really his choice.

I love you, Klondyke. I know that you are not in pain anymore, and running on the beach again, but there is a ache in my heart that I am not sure will ever truly go away. You will be in my heart and thoughts always.

Look at that handsome, noble profile . . .

His sister loved him so

He just wanted a tummy rubbin' but that dang fuzzy gerbil insisted on kissing him

I'm so sorry for your loss... Klondyke was a beautiful dog... While I know you're hurting now, I certainly hope you will begin to dwell on the good times with Klondyke.

Oh I'm so sorry. I have a 6 year old chocolate lab named henry. He eats food like your naughty boy, thinks he's half hippo the way he rolls in mud, loves water, and playing ball. Now I'm teary eyed realizing one day his passing will be my reality.

It sounds like his life was long and full, he's not in pain now, and can eat all the raw rice he wants in puppy heaven. My sincere condolences.

Thank you so much. I am trying to remember all the good times. I found some more pictures on my bf's computer:

Klondyke wearing his crown from his christmas cracker

And Klondyke with some of his siblings. He was so good with them - very patient and gentle, even when his nose was all squished up

I'm so sorry for you loss, Nicole. I can tell he was really special.

...Wish they didn't have to leave us like they do. :(

Well, Nicole, how sweet. You brought a tear to my eye. I still dream about dogs I've had who have long passed.

I'm sure he has plenty of not-forgotten friends in doggy heaven.

Awww..I'm sorry for you loss. The story you wrote about his life with you and his siblings was very touching. He was a beautiful boy. :(

So sorry...

They are with us for such a short time...try to remember the good times! You have so many good memories to sustain you!

Nothing has ever made me cry as much as when I lost my boy Duke almost 2 years ago. I looked at those tears as the last and final gift that I could give to him. I miss him so very much. So my thoughts and prayers to you in this most painful and difficult time.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so tough to have to say goodbye to our furry friends because they're with us at our best moments and our worst ones - and they love us all the way.

Again, thank you all. It helps to be able to share him with others. Everyone who met him, loved him because you could just see how big his heart was. He loved everyone and was on this Earth to spread joy.

I wish they could be with us longer. . . they are such a gift.

I'm so sorry for your loss Nichole, I didn't know him but after reading your description I'm crying now. I can relate to how you feel right now, I lost a Rotti to cancer a while back, it is absolutley heartbreaking. I'm so sorry your handsome boy left you to soon. RIP Klondyke

Very sorry for your loss. They can be such a big part of our lives. Try to remember the good times with him. It might help to bring a smile back to you. Again, so sorry.

So sorry for your loss! Saying goodbye is the hardest part of living with a beloved animal. RIP Klondyke.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Your right though, they just aren't with us long enough. I had to put my long haired gsd to sleep almost 5 years ago now and not a day goes by that I don't think of her. I know it's hard right now, but in time you will truly remember all the great times you had together and will be smiling when you think of him. RIP Klondike.

Back