• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

In need of some serious guidance

Stock350

Modern Day Cowboy
Okay, so heres the scoop. I bought a Butter Corn Snake last Friday and she's been great. We are still getting used to each other and the last time she fed was this past Monday at around the evening time. She didnt hesitate at all on the pinkie and went right to work.

Okay, so my concern is, it is now Wednesday night Thursday Morning. Approx 1:00am my time ( CST ). I was thinking it was okay for me to handle her being that is has been since Monday since she last ate. Well, she still had a small buldge where Im assuming her meal is still disgesting. 2-3 days, right? I guess I was a little early on the handling part. As soon as she came out for a stretch and some water, I immediatly jumped at the chance to hold her. Not taking to kindly to this, she ran from me but I prevailed in scooping her up. Well, 10 minutes after I was handling her, she started opening her jaws real wide and shifting her body about. I knew what was coming before It even happened.

She puked up her dinner from Monday and it was hardly regonziable as a pinkie. More like a smelly glob of flesh.

Now comes the question. I know I messed up by handling her too soon. But, when should I feed her again? As soon as possible or stay on track with the weekly schedule? I know she is hungry now and yes, I discarded the reguritated carcass asap. Not sure if that was the best move, but it stunk and I had to get it out of there.

Any advice is appreciated. Everyone here I have encountered has been knowledgeable and helpful :) Thank you very much.

Wayne
US Army
Fort Riley, Kansas

check the f a q on feeding. A regurge can damage the lining of the snake's oesophagus and deplete it's stomach acds. Do not feed for 10 days, then give a smaller food item for this and the next few feedings. Regurges are serious and can lead to the death of a young snake.
The 48 hours after feeding rule for handling is a guideline, if you can still see a bulge, leave the snake alone.

Okay. I appreciate the advice. I just really want to avoid her being mean to me like people say if you dont handle her. She handles real well when I do get the chance. No musking or any biting. I just love her so much and want her to feel like she can trust me. I guess that comes with time.

She hasn't ever struck at me, even when I reach for her while she is inside her hide to pet her gently. Very docile snake, and Im very impressed with her. :)

Ok, I'm goimg to tell you my opinion, you certainly don't have to agree....
Your corn will not become wild and bitey because you leave off handling while she recovers. If the handling impedes recovery because it adds to stress while she's fragile, you could lose your corn.
Two of my hatchlings bought this year were hellcats, the other two were docile right from the start. I fed them every 5 days while they were on pinks, which meant the only handling they got for the first couple of months was to move into a feeding tub,and back into their homes afterwards. All 4 are fat as butter, all 4 handle beautifully.
I nearly lost one of my snakes due to bad advice after regurge, so I'm extra cautious, and feel feeding habits come first, handling secondary.
Like I said, it's just my opinion though

I just want whats best for my snake. I dont want to hurt her. She seems very active and alert, so I assume she's happy and thats all I want for her. :)

I believe right now, she is going to need some recovery time and then she will probably come out of that and need to be fed. So I will make sure she gets fed and then I will wait until her meal is totally digested and try this again. :)

Thanks again. :)

Ok, here is my take on it. I agree with what Diamondlil has said, and want to share my story to reinforce it.

I have a yearling bloodred with whom I've had some serious regurging issues for the last 9 months. She hasn't regurged since September, so I think we're over it. I have not handled her at all during this time (9 months), except to measure her after a shed and to move her to her feeding box. Thus, she gets handled for about 10 seconds each week. She is the farthest thing from wild and bitey. She will try to get away, but will not strike or rattle at all. She is very gentle.

Now, one suggestion is to double check, then triple check your tank temps. Maybe you can bump them up a degree or two to help her digest a tad faster.

Personally I would have waited a little longer before feeding, so the snake can become comfortable with its surroundings. I would definitely triple check the temps just to be sure. I only handle Steve on the days I feed him, before he eats of course. Had him since september and he is the friendliest snake I have ever met. I don't think you should worry so much with handling so much as eating habits, as was said before. And always remember, corns will live for many many years with proper care, so there is always plenty of time for handling. Right now just worry about getting it to grow and thrive. You don't want to rush things, as hard as it may be.

diamondlil said:
Ok, I'm goimg to tell you my opinion, you certainly don't have to agree....
Your corn will not become wild and bitey because you leave off handling while she recovers. If the handling impedes recovery because it adds to stress while she's fragile, you could lose your corn.
Two of my hatchlings bought this year were hellcats, the other two were docile right from the start. I fed them every 5 days while they were on pinks, which meant the only handling they got for the first couple of months was to move into a feeding tub,and back into their homes afterwards. All 4 are fat as butter, all 4 handle beautifully.
I nearly lost one of my snakes due to bad advice after regurge, so I'm extra cautious, and feel feeding habits come first, handling secondary.
Like I said, it's just my opinion though

Oh,......you Kent girls just know it all.... :sidestep:
Having fun :grin01:

The same thing happened with my little snake so I'll share my experience with you.

I got her on a Saturday handled her Saturday and Sunday, fed her Monday, left her alone until Wednesday, handled her Thursday and Friday and she puked on Friday.

I was a bit distraught and felt pretty bad so I know how you feel.

I'm pretty sure the reason mine puked was the overhandling combined with her digesting on the cool side of the tank under the substrate because she did not have enough hides.

What I did to get her back on track was to pretty much follow the regurge FAQ here. I also warmed up her tank a little then left her completely alone for 10 days. When I fed her again I cut her pinky in half lengthwise while it was still frozen and thawed half. I fed her 4 half pinky meals every 5 days. I fed her 4 half pinky meals before going back to whole pinkies. During this time I limited handling quite a bit and kept it to about 10 minutes per session.

People also suggested getting nutribac from the cornutopia site. That would have been my next step if the half pinky didn't work.

Now mine is eating like a champ and hasn't regurged since that first and hopefully only time.

Don't worry too much about her not being tame if you don't handle her. I'm pretty sure sooner or later your going to get bit no matter what the handling is like :grin01:

Back