• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

incest?

or1olesfan

crazy for corns
i know this sounds wierd, but will snakes that breed with parents/clutch mates have babes with defects?

for example, snakes A and B mate. Their children are snakes C, D, E, F, G, and H

if snake C mates with snake D, will the babes have defects? what if snake C mates with snake A (its parent)?

i know in humans at least, mating with a close relative can lead to birth defects in the children, and i was just wondering if it is the same for snakes?

Considering it's very heavily practiced especially in the creation of a new color morph or pattern mutation, and especially line breeding, defects really don't show up as often as you'd think.

To a lesser extent. If a bloodline has an inherent weakness (such as a tendency to produce kinked hatchlings), then repeated breeding of related animals will increase the likelihood of the defect appearing.

However, two healthy snakes that are related, can be mated without ill-effects. That's how most new morphs begin.

Inbreeding increases the risk of defects, it doesn't guarantee that there will be defects. So if you inbreed to reproduce a desired morph, you are also increasing the likeliness of reproducing a defect in the bloodline, due to both parents having the same defect in their lineage.

alright thanks guys. so it does increase the risk, but not near as much as in humans if i have it correct?

I wouldn't necessary say that.

Relative to our very human-biased perspective, then there is less harm. We tend to consider a snake healthy if it breathes and eats, however there are millions of possible effects that go unseen, but would be detected in a human as deleterious- or even wild species. Captive corns don't face the same environmental threats as a wild population would- therefore if a double homo had a gene knocked out for some viral strain that would normally kill them all (why inbreeding depression is so bad ie. cheetahs), but was never exposed to them in our artificial care....it's not seen as a "problem".

Make any sense?? (or was that just a huge run-on sentence)

Back