• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

incubation stench?

luciano

Hi
My snake laid about 26 eggs, the majority being all together in a cluster (good and bad eggs). I´m incubating them all (good and bad) that way I don´t tear any good eggs apart by snagging the bad ones away.
My question is: Is it normal if it starts smelling really bad due to the bad eggs also being there (i can´t take them apart)? The good eggs are doing great though!

Of course it smells...

The bad ones are decomposing/rotting. You'll want to remove the bad eggs. It won't be easy but if you don't there is a very good chance you'll have all of them go bad. The decaying of the bad ones will spread to the good ones and kill them.

I disagree with you Dand.

I had a few good eggs firmly attached to two slugs, and while the slugs turned all shades of colors with mold as they rotted, the good eggs attached to the slugs were fine and hatched perfectly formed babies.

I would not recommend removing the slugs if they are firmly attached. It could do way more harm than good IMO.

I agree with Amanda, let them be as they wont be affecting the good eggs, I had a clutch like this 2 years ago and they hatched fine.

I've found that it's much safer to leave the bad eggs with the good ones if they don't want to come off. If the eggs are good, they'll stay good. I've had far worse luck tyring to remove bad eggs than actually leaving them there to rot. The chances of damaging the good ones are very good if the bad eggs are firmly stuck.

Back