• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Incubators

my female corn is about ready to lay eggs this is the first time i have had a snake lay eggs does any one have any good site's or pictures of where i can buy or build a good incubator, or ideas of what i can use to build a good incubator.

franklin said:
Yeah a good site which I got my info. from a few years ago and it works great is........
www.arbreptiles.com

CYA

What a coincidence! With all my clutches coming this season, I inadvertantly forgot that I need more room in my incubator, so I brought home the supplies to make another one, and took pictures as well. Here's the setup that I've been using for the past 3 years. They're both 32 Qt. tubs.

Here's the old one full of eggs:
zincubatorold.jpg

Her's the new one getting set up. I use two submersible 50 Watt heaters and a small submersible pump to circulate the water. The egg boxes are sterilite flip tops ($1 apiece) with sphagnum moss on the bottom, eggs, and then a folded paper towel with more sphagnum on top of the towel. I have 2 holes in the bottom corners of the egg boxes in case any standing water develops and can drain from the egg boxes. I haven't experienced any problems with this process so far. My biggest concern when I first used it was too much humidity, but it hasn't seemed to be a problem so far.
zincubatornew.jpg

Here's a pic of the egg box, in the old incubator pic, I also have a sterilite shoebox for clutches greater than 20 eggs to provide for more room as the eggs grow and the hatchlings come later:
zincubationbox.jpg

And of course here's a pic of both incubators side by side:
zincubatorsboth.jpg

D80

Last edited:
:-offtopic Cool Avatar Drizzt ;) I LOVE R.A. Salvatore!

Looks like a neat setup Drizzt, thanks for the pics :D

thanx for the pics and site's yes im in Middlesbrough uk by the way, if anyone has anymore please keep em coming.

David, i'v looked on that website, very good, are the DIY ones easy to set up?
and do you think the one below will be any good?

Adjustable Thermostat
Heating Element
Cabinet
Takes 20 hen eggs

415mm long x 280 mm wide x 138 mm high

or do you think the 80 egg one would be better?

Has anyone tried making an incubator from an old freezer as seen here http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml ??

I happen to have an old freezer that I will never use again as it tends to freeze over and become a real pain. It would be perfect for a big incubator if it actually works...any opinions?

Thanks!

huevos de vivora(snake eggs)

Yeah, But i use and old fridge though. It works great. The arb site has pics and it explains how to install the heat source.

Last year was my 1st time breeding, all you need is a heat mat, a folded towel on top of it, a habistat thermostat, an ice cream tub, and spagnum moss, and any thermometer. Keep at 80` for 2 months, both batches hatched no problems.

I'm spoilt!

This was one of my birthday presents this year! -end of march, just in time for my early april eggs!!!

It cost a small fortune but works very nicely and you could replicate it yourself to the dimensions you need with a cooperative gasier to cut the glass for you. Just has a fish tank heater in the bottom and seems to work very nicely so far!

Attachments

• incubator1.JPG
    incubator1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 106
Heh, I should get a photo of my incubation setup, but here's a blurry webcam shot of one:

Egg Cam

I guess, each box is its own incubator. Heat is provided by room heat, which is kept at 78 to 82 degrees with a space heater (I let them cool off a bit at night).

So, for my incubator, you can just picture a shelf system with 9 inch delis filled half full of barely dampened vermic and a light fog on the lid. Picture happy little eggs nestled on the vermic with the air holes of the box sealed to keep humidity constant. (Yes, there's plenty of air in those boxes to last eggs long past their hatching date.)

Rather low tech, but I'm enjoying the best hatch rates and lowest incubation-induced defects yet to date. I like simple. :D

edit: Hmm, now that I look at that link, I think the right egg is pipping. :santa: The fog on the lid is nicely obscuring the view, though.

Off topic

Hurley said:
edit: Hmm, now that I look at that link, I think the right egg is pipping. :santa: The fog on the lid is nicely obscuring the view, though.

Yeah, I was at your site about 5 hours ago and noticed that egg looked like it had pipped! Is the one on the far left gone? -it looks awefully shrivelled up....could just be the foggy view. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a coral snow to pop out for you!

Heh, so foggy. Nope, they all looked good this morning. The right one was very caved (started a couple days ago).

Darn fog. ;)

You asked about the Ascott (ecostat) DIY kits, Traff. I bought a ready made incubator so have no experience, but the components are very simple - just a heating element and probe, inside a polystyrene box with a polythene window in the lid, attached to a pulse proportional thermostat. I can't see how those components could be difficult to rig up.

The 25 egg one may be slightly underpowered for your needs, since the recommended cabinet dimensions quoted are rather small. On the other hand, you don't need as high a temp for corn eggs as for poultry.

David

Back