• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Inexpensive Setup

ricoandcarlotta

I have Rico and Carlotta in Critter Keepers right now, however, Sugar (my .1 cat) keeps trying to knock them over because they are so light. Can I get some suggestions about inexpensive setups for them? I mean is there somewhere to get aquariums besides Petco and Petsmart? I don't have heat under mine because they stay in our living room where we have a wood stove going and the temp is pretty warm all the time. I really don't think they need that. But I would like to get them where Sugar can't bat them around. Right now I have Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative Vol 1 on Rico and Vol. 2 on Carlotta...weighting them down.:D

My local pet shop sells used/cracked aquariums, and keep checking that guy Craig's website.

I am really new at this and before I could get around to buying a UTH I used a heating blanket under the tank. which seemed to work ok.

I am really new at this and before I could get around to buying a UTH I used a heating blanket under the tank. which seemed to work ok.

I wouldn't use them. They get way too hot. Spend the money and get the right UTH.

Have you thought of tubs for your setup.

Have you thought about spraying your cat with water when he/he goes near the setups? Cats have been known to get through the screen tops of aqaurium cages and tubs while awesome are also lightweight. Either that or move your KK's to a bedroom and keep the door shut to keep the cat out:(

Will keep checking Craig's and thde petshops to see about cracked etc. Until then I will keep using the Civil War Narratives. It's working and they have places to hide in them. It's not an emergency nor dire. For the most part Sugar ignores them. But if Rico decides to explore it just drives her nuts. :) Thank you for the words of advice. And Rico and Carlotta thank you.

I can possibly get you a cheap 29 gal. tank that I used it for Thumper before I traded my mother for her 55 gal. I could talk to her if you might be interested, and am not too far from you, I was as the same show when you picked up your babies. Thumper never made an escape and it would be plenty large enough for your babies to explore and you would definately have time to find another tank before cohab issues arose and you popped up with an unexpected clutch of eggs. Either post on here or email me at [email protected] and let me know what you might be willing to give for a tank and I will talk to her. I also have the screen top that I was using with the tank if you would want to get it as well. You would have to get lock clips for it but other than that its perfect. Then you would just have to worry about the interior and a UTH for them.

Just a toss up idea to help you out.

I have a suggestion -- bungee cords. Wrap them around the critter keepers AND around the shelf they are on. Voila! I used to keep mice (LOTS of mice!) in tubs. I also had 4 cats, some of whom regarded fresh mouse as a delicacy. Bungeeing the tubs to the shelves prevented tubs from being bulldozed off the shelf & opened.

Back