• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Interesting story

Very Intresting indeed... I would be a little upset if I had a booth and they came in like that and made me dump everything out... But I guess that has to happen inorder to keep some kind of check on illegal activities... I just hope that something like that never happens to me... I wouldnt mind to let them search me its just a inconvenience...

The problem is that the officers there did not know the laws they were trying to enforce, nor the animals that were legal or illegal. One individual who was there said that people were having their baby bearded dragons seized because they did not have licenses to practice aquaculture (dealing in aquatic creatures). Of course, since beardies are Australian, desert dwelling lizards, one wonders why such would be needed!

I'm, all for good law enforcement, and I don't deal in anything that isn't cb and non-native, but we need to have some common sense here. Unfortunately, too many of these raids are as much about the hysterical reaction people have toward reptiles as they are about protecting against illegal animal sales.

Darin,
Where did you get the information about the aquqculture? I didn't read that and was wondering if there was another article or if you knew someone at the show?

Just curious.

Rick

Rick,

Evan Stahl (I believe that's how his name is spelled?!?!) was actually there at the show as a vendor. The "authorities" after having found nothing criminal at his table, asked him several times to help identify what was at other tables. I believe he said that he agreed to do this so that no animals would be seized incorrectly.

However, outside of the building (where no one was helping in this way) people were having their bearded dragons confiscated for lack of an aquaculture license. However, as I noted before, bearded dragons are desert lizards! Another point of interest though, is the requirement of people to have an aquaculture license in IL applies only to native IL species! Again, beardies come from Australia, not Chicago.

Evan was there, and he reported this all on the BOI (another website run and owned by Rich Z.). So far, no one has disputed any of it.

Hope this helps --

Sure!

Here you go:

www.faunaclassifieds.com

Once you go to this site, click on "Main," and then on "The Original Board of Inquiry." The Board of Inquiry (BOI) is just one part of the site, but it is one of the most influential and helpful "places" on the web for herp business decision, in my opinion. Come back here, though, and let us all know what you think about the BOI:p

Last edited:
Back