• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Intro and a quick question

thejamiemarie

Hello! New to the boards and new to snakes! Sunday evening I was at Petco and my fiance and I impulse bought a corn snake. It wasn't entirely an impulse buy, we have been researching corn snakes some, but I didn't expect to bring one home that day. Now I wish I would have waited and gotten one from a breeder, but hindsight is 20/20. My corn snake is about 5 months old and the petsore said they were feeding her (no idea if it is a her, but I don't like saying it) every other week. I plan on feeding her once ever 6 or so days, but I have a dilema. Wednesday will be 2 weeks since they fed her. I know I am supposed to wait a week to let her get settled before feeding her, but that means she will have gone about 3 weeks without food. She is such a tiny thing so I am worried. Should I try feeding her Wednesday or wait the entire week? Thanks in advance.

Now onto the real intro. My name is Jamie and my fiance and I have 2 cats (ichabod and Ophelia) 3 rats (May, Chai and Peanut) and now our corn snake Persephone! We like unusual names. I have always been a huge rodent lover so I never thought I would own a snake, but I am learning that rodents and reptiles are awesome in their own separate ways.

And last, but not least, her set up. I have a 20 gallon glass enclosure. 3 hides (1 on the cool side, one on the warm side and one in the middle, her water bowl, a few fake plants, a UTH pad, a thermometer with a probe and aspen as the bedding. Right now the UTH is turned off and I am using a heat light because I didn't realize I needed a thermostat. My thermostat should be here friday. Any tips and advice/criticism is welcome!

Hey there and welcome!

Sounds like you have a great start. Except for pictures- where are our pictures?? :D

Even though it will be three weeks, I would let her wait. She wont starve, she may be a little grumpy when its finally time to eat and she may gobble her food down, but better that then feed her too soon, stress her out and she regurges.

Your setup sounds just fine for a baby! I am very glad you have a thermostat coming. Also, make sure you have your tank off suspended a little to get some airflow under the UTH. You can use something as small as bottle caps to prop up the tank a little and get some air under there.

Again, welcome to the board!

If you wait till the thermostat gets here, and then get it dialed in (start low, and VERY gradually go up) (what brand did you get??), and make sure the heat is in the right zone and stabile, by about Sunday night it should be okay to feed her.

Thanks guys! I promise to get lots of pictures when her settling in period is finished!

It is a hydrofarm thermostat? I think that was the brand. What do you mean about starting slow with the heat? Like setting it to 75 and wait, then a little higher then wait until I have the right temperature or something else?

Picture time!

percy1_zps376b7e37.jpg

This one is a better representation of her color. I have no idea what color she is so feel free to enlighten me!

percy2_zps3a015922.jpg

She looks like an anery :)
And it sounds like you have a good thermostat. Though I will be honest to say I don't know what starting low means with the thermostat. I would recommend that with a rheostat though. You have a digital thermometer to ensure the temperature is correct?

She looks like an anery :)
And it sounds like you have a good thermostat. Though I will be honest to say I don't know what starting low means with the thermostat. I would recommend that with a rheostat though. You have a digital thermometer to ensure the temperature is correct?

I do have a digital thermometer with a probe and the probe of the thermometer and thermostat are a few inches apart from eachother and right on the glass. There is usually a 2 degree or so difference between the two, but I figure that isn't too much of a big deal.

What an adorable snake and I agree with above on the feeding. Your new snakey friend will not starve and most likely will just be overzealous with the food once it becomes feeding time. I fed mine the second day I owned him and it made the adjustment period much longer.

It's fun to impulse buy snakes. Warning, they are addicting!

Back