• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Intro to new viv gone well, now being strange?

Fordie

I put my 7month old corn in her new viv Saturday afternoon, it is kitted out with logs, vines, hides galore, water dishes n coconut bark as substrate and even a hammock!
She seemed fine for the fisrt few hours and was enjoying wondering round to check it all out, now though she has been sat in the one hide since around 10pm Saturday.
I was thinking that it may take a week or two for her to get used to it all, but is her staying in one place for so long strange or pretty normal?
Her old cage was a shoe box style and size, her new pad is 36"x12"x15", no idea what gallon size this is?
Here is a pic of it, thankyou ppl :idea:

Attachments

• DSC00209_Small.JPG
    DSC00209_Small.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00208_Small.JPG
    DSC00208_Small.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 90
Fordie said:
I was thinking that it may take a week or two for her to get used to it all, but is her staying in one place for so long strange or pretty normal?
It's very normal for them to hide most of the time, and if there is one particular place she is staying put, she probably feels secure and comfortable there.

agreed... My corn just stays in his one hide for the whole day, only coming out at night and when I physically take him out.

Mine have tended to be uncharacteristically shy for a few weeks when moved up to their first "grown up" tank. They take a while to be convinced that they are safe in the new surroundings. Yours will gradually start to venture out, making longer and longer forays until she's back to her usual activity patterns in a few weeks.

Extra ground cover like plastic foliage, may help at this point. If she can move from warm to cool ends and from hides to water without being seen, this will help her feel more secure.

In case this happens to you, mine occasionally refuse a feed or two when I move them around. They're creatures of habit and they don't seem to like having their environment changed radically, although they do adapt in the end.

Mine have all done the same thing when moving them to a new tank. In just a few weeks, however, they were back to their normal selves. They just had to get used to the new environment and convince themselves that they were safe.

Although I am sure you have already done this but make sure that your temperatures are in range. I have found with many snakes, from boas to corns, that temperature can greatly effect their behavior. As long as the temps are good then I agree with everyone else. Your snake probably felt more secure in the smaller enclosure but in time will begin to explore it's new surrounding more often. This may take several feeding cycles. Without quoting anyone directly, I was once told that with boas, keeping them in a large enclosure when they are small causes them to become aggressive. This is simply due to the lack of security. Corns are a completely different breed but the same behavior applies. Your snake is 7 months old and should not become aggressive at this point as long as you continue handling it as usual. I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

Mike Pinkston

Back