• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Introducing Amadeus.... input please?

MastersHaven

*Hopelessly Addicted*
Hi guys...
Just showing off my newest addition that came today.

He's a beautiful 03 Sunglow male but with an unexpected twist...

anyone dare to guess?

Attachments

• Amadeus6.JPG
    Amadeus6.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Amadeus6a.JPG
    Amadeus6a.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Amadeus.JPG
    Amadeus.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Amadeus5.JPG
    Amadeus5.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Amadeus5b.JPG
    Amadeus5b.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 223
Well, I'll just toss this out there...To me he seems to have a cubed look. Isn't cubed possibly (of definitely) related to motley and/or stripe? So, maybe it could be due to that. I don't know if cubes typically have plain or checkered bellies. Or maybe he isn't cubed at all, but to my eyes he seems like he might be....just me rambling. :)

He is definatly cubed. Cubed is a form of striped, which would explain the lack of belly checkers.

Thanks guys!
when I first pulled him out of the bag and seen the plain belly I was like "no way!"
I had to flip him over and check his pattern again... The first section looked motley then there were a few elongated spots and then the big blocky ones. I thought yeah, striped motley but the pattern wasn't consistant... then I stepped back to look at him again and noticed the kind of square saddles towards his mid/back sections...

I think I do agree... cubed would be my best guess....

One question now, sense motley/striping tends to effect the coloration do you think he is just an Amel Cubed or is he indeed a sunglow?
either way Amel = Amel And as with anything -- I guess breeding trials are in order.

LOL
Thanks again!

MastersHaven said:
One question now, sense motley/striping tends to effect the coloration do you think he is just an Amel Cubed or is he indeed a sunglow?
either way Amel = Amel And as with anything -- I guess breeding trials are in order.

LOL
Thanks again!

That's a good question. I'm definitely no expert, but I would say that it is tough to say with the stripe/motley influence. It's kind of like trying to imagine what a sunglow stripe would look like since they all (or virtually all) pretty much have no white. To me he definitely seems to have no white showing. But like you said, I think breeding will probably be the best indicator.
Good luck with him! He looks like he'll make some nice little ones regardless.

To me sunglow is just a name for (very bright) amels without any white. Regardless of the pattern. I do think that is the 'official' meaning too.... Yours is a cubed sunglow according to this!

blue?

Is he getting ready to shed? If so, then he is a sunglow. Very nice with that pattern.

P.S. I have been out the game for a while so I could be wrong, but I doubt it!LOL.

IMO it's a motley sunglow. :)

Whether or not he is a sunglow can be determined by looking at him. Is he a brightly colored amel with no dorsal white? If so, he's a sunglow. In order to be a sunglow, it doesn't have to come from sunglow parents or have any specific genotype other than being amelanistic.

As far as the pattern, it does look somewhat cubish, but I'm betting he's a motley (or motley/stripe) and not a stripe or cube.

Hey Serp.

on that note, I have one question....

It is my understanding that some Sunglows are derived from Hypo lines, how is that possible?

What role does the Hypo have on the appearance of Sunglow and what is it's % of recurrence in the lines?

:rolleyes: I hope that makes sense?!?!
:wavey:

Serpwidgets said:
IMO it's a motley sunglow. :)

Whether or not he is a sunglow can be determined by looking at him. Is he a brightly colored amel with no dorsal white? If so, he's a sunglow. In order to be a sunglow, it doesn't have to come from sunglow parents or have any specific genotype other than being amelanistic.

As far as the pattern, it does look somewhat cubish, but I'm betting he's a motley (or motley/stripe) and not a stripe or cube.

I think it's just from the camera -- I dont see any discoloration when looking at him...
:cheers:

abell82 said:
Is it normal to have that bluish purple tint to the nostril like that?

MastersHaven said:
Hey Serp.

on that note, I have one question....

It is my understanding that some Sunglows are derived from Hypo lines, how is that possible?

What role does the Hypo have on the appearance of Sunglow and what is it's % of recurrence in the lines?

:rolleyes: I hope that makes sense?!?!
:wavey:
I believe what happened is that some people decided to use hypos to start their sunglow lines because they offer a head start in reducing border size, and the goal in any "sunglow" project is obviously to get rid of the white on amels.

I think that amels will have some influence from the hypo gene, because I believe that hypo does have an effect of slowing the migration of the normally black areas, thus making the white areas smaller on amels to some degree or other. It might not be enough that you can visually pick out amels from hypo amels in a clutch, but I think it does have some influence.

However, it's also possible to eliminate the white areas through selective breeding, or using the motley or other pattern genes that affect the borders, so the end result is that creating a no-white amel (which is the widely used definition of sunglow) does not require the presence of the hypo gene.

As far as how common hypo is within sunglow lines, I used the search on the ACR to see what's there so far.

There are 49 snakes with the "sunglow" box checked.
Of these:
· 24 are listed as homozygous motley.
· 3 are listed as motley/stripe.
· 6 are listed as homozygous stripe.
* 2 are not listed as homozygous amel (genotypes were not included in the registration for those snakes)

One is listed as het hypo, and none are listed as homozygous hypo. About 1 in every 7 ACR corns is listed as hypo, so there's a good possibility that a few of those 49 sunglows are homozygous hypo and the owner didn't know it or list it. :)

Also note:
There are 21 snakes listed as homozygous for amel and hypo. 18 of these are also anerythristic so they wouldn't be listed as sunglows anyway, but none of the three remaining amel hypos are listed as sunglows either. (One is an amel hypo motley, even.)

Meanwhile:
There are 136 amel motleys listed, with 24 listed as sunglow.
There are 15 amel motley/stripes listed, with 3 listed as sunglow.
There are 73 amel stripes listed, with 6 listed as sunglow.

It will be fun to see what kinds of trends show themselves over the next few years. :)

Thank You so much Serp!

You always explain things in a way that even my poor wandering mind can a make some sense out of it! :grin01:

:cheers:

Back