• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Introducing....new yellow rat snake!

srsb

There has been some discussion about this guy over in the Mid-Atlantic forum, but I though I would post him here since not everyone may read that forum.

This is Shannon! Named after the big "Welcome to the Shenandoah Valley" sign that I passed on my trek to pick him up. He was in a pet store in WV. He had originally been purchased there a while back, but the people brought him back because he bites. Silly boy! So, they were "adopting" him out for $10.

Without further ado, here is Shannon:

103_0231.jpg

And, just so he doesn't feel left out, here is big brother Max (in shed):

103_0220-1.jpg

Both are little demons, but, that is part of their charm! :devil01:

sonja

A yellow ratsnake that bites?!?! I simply don't buy it...never happen...;).

Nice pickup!:dancer:

Wow he sure looks happy! Congrats. You saved me from having to figure out where I would put him. I was going to go pick him up Friday if you didn't get him. It is nice knowing he is with someone who appreciates the yellow rats. Keep us posted on how he is doing. Again REALLY BIG CONGRATS!!!! :dancer: :dancer: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Shannon rocks! I really like how his juvie pattern is still so visible, but a nice, subdued gray. Cool looking snake. :cool:

Glad you got him! He's a yellow rat, they bite! Well, except for Mellow Yellow...I finally got up the nerve to pick up a wild one last spring (yes it bit!) and that was the first time because they can put on such a show- and I'm not afraid of wild snakes! I've never seen a juvenile. Congratulations!

Very nice-he kinda reminds me of a bairds with all that nice silvery pattern. What part of WV did you pick him up in?

Yay now both of the bigger unloved snakes from the WV shop have a great home!
Glad to see he found someone who wanted him :)

Thanks everyone! He really is a handsome snake. I love his silvery pattern, too. Too bad it will fade out over time.

Kevin S---- I got him in a pet shop in Charles Town. Called Fins, Feathers & Friends (or something like that). The woman who owns the shop had owned it for all of one day! She also had a boa that was marked Sold and two baby corns that I didn't see because they were hiding. They also had birds. The woman was super-nice. She even gave Shannon a frozen pinkie "for the road"!

Nanci--- did you get any pics of the wild one? I would love to see them!

sonja

Ooooh....he is a beauty!! I love his colors. His name is fabulous by the way, even though he is a boy. ;)

-Shannon-

p.s. I was named for the Shannon river in Ireland

Here he is- I had to put him in a tree to put a stop to the biting!

Attachments

• Yellow Rat 04_07 007cr800.jpg
    Yellow Rat 04_07 007cr800.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 30
I'm considering getting this bright orange rat snake I saw at the last reptile show..If he is at the next one I do want to buy him because he seemed to have a great personality..me and my friend were holding him for quite some time and he seemed really calm...Do rat snakes have a reputation to be biters? I don't want to buy a snake and then bring it home and once it gets settled in it changes personalities and starts to attack...especially the one I liked..He was a pretty descent sized snake..we're not talking about a hatchling here...heh..So please let me know..does anyone have sweet heart rats?

Maize--- I have several types of rat snakes:
3 yellow rats---2 of them bite. The third is still a baby, but is sweet and friendly
2 leucistic rats--- one is a devil, one is ok to handle
1 black rat --- used to bite, but calmed down with age
1 everglades --- no problems
1 white sided black rat -- a bit skittish

So, it depends on the snake! But, in my experience, the yellows and leucys seem to be more "bitey".

I say if your orange guy seems friendly, go for it!

sonja

Sonja, I'm glad you got him; I was hoping he would end up in a good home, without my having to drive down there! Not a bad-looking guy, either! Your "Max" is very nice too.

Kathy

Sonja -

I'm VERY happy a Rat person got him. If you'd have seen him a few months ago when he first appeared at that store, you'd have been heart-broken. He had a big scab on his nose (probably from rubbing) and clearly hadn't been taken care of (imagine that, a snake that gets nippy. Hmmm.)

She Who Must be Obeyed wasn't budging on my getting him.

Please post follow-up pics.

Back