• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Introducing...Scooter!

iLuvScooter

Hi everyone! My name is Jane, I live in AZ, and I have an albino cornsnake named Scooter. I got her on Sept 9th and, based on her approx. age at the time, I gave her the birthday of Aug 1st, so she’s almost 4 months old.

I created an album and uploaded two pics of her. Does anyone know what kind of morph she is? (I think I asked that right.)

I own a small gift store and she lives in a 30-gallon tank that sits inside the largest section of an old wooden TV/stereo wall unit. Her viv has plastic plants, a hide, a water bowl/pool, two flat sandstone rocks (that sit on the very bottom of the viv, not the bedding), and a big log/branch for her to climb around on.

When I get to work every morning I take her out and she crawls around on my hand while I check my email and work on the computer. When a customer comes in I take her out front with me. Everybody loves her! I always ask new people if they’re ok with her and only one lady said she was scared of snakes, so I put Scooter in her viv and everything was cool.

I handle her and play with her every day except for the 48 hours after she’s eaten. I feed her one pinkie about every 5 days now. She’s never been a fussy eater. While her pinkie is thawing I play with her and then about an hour before I go home I put the pinkie in a small bowl, place that in the viv, and then lower Scooter into the viv and “introduce” her to the food. She’s a butt muncher! lol She’s very comfortable with me watching her eat and drink. She always drinks a little water after eating. It’s so cute! She’s never struck at me. She’s always calm and docile when I go to take her out, but once she’s out she’s very active and likes to explore.

During Sept and Oct I kept the A/C between 75 and 85F, but now that it’s cooler I have the heat on and it stays right around 75-80F. The consensus for heating the viv seems to be that a thermostat-regulated UTH is the best way to go. I read that it’s not *necessary* to create a warm side and a cool side, but it’s nice for her to be able to choose.

Also, I let other people hold her if they ask, but only if I’ve already held her for awhile myself. I don’t take her out and hand her right off to someone. And then I’m like an anxious mama with her new baby :) I also make sure their hands are lotion free and with no food smells. And I let *her* decide if she wants to go onto their hand. Sometimes she says no :)

Sorry this was so long. Does it sound like I’m doing everything ok so far? Oh, she’s had two healthy/complete sheds. She was about 12” when I got her and yesterday she measured 16” approximately...it’s hard to get her to straighten out :)

Thanks for having this awesome site, whoever started it, and thanks to all the members for being so helpful. I just absolutely love my little Scooter and I want her to live a long, happy, healthy life.

Hi, Jane! Welcome fellow Arizonan!!! It does sound like you've covered all your bases. I checked out your album and Scooter looks great!

If you're really worried about things, check out the sticky in the "Husbandry & Basic Care" section.

Great to have you here!

Jane,

Welcome to you and Scooter. Hard to tell his morph from the two pictures that you posted... I would hazard that he's a lovely little normal or classic, but he could be a hypo. With so little white showing in those pictures, I wouldn't place him as a amel.

I'm amazed at folks who have snakes that they can do the computers while holding them... not me, not one of the six.. they are off trying to explore the desk... the chair... the..... my daughter's first snake was one that would sit patiently, but I've yet to reach that point... or maybe I need to just simply handle them more. Of course, that didn't help with Kieran :)

Thank you, Wycherley, Fred, Rich, Ginger and Pmac, for the warm welcome :)

Fred, thanks for the comment on Scooter. I think she's beautiful... But I guess we all think that about our babies :) Hey! You're in Mesa! So am I :)

I've looked at the thread you mentioned, but I'll go visit it again, regularly. ty

Hi Ginger, ty for looking at the pics. She was only $40 at the pet store so I'm sure she's not anything "exotic" but I was curious. I like the adjective "classic" :)

idk what a hypo is, but I've read the word "amel" ... I'll go research them. ty :)

Oh, as far as holding her while I'm at the computer, I rest my left elbow on the desk with my arm in a vertical position and she crawls around my hand and through my fingers (always active!), but when she gets about 3/4 of the way down my arm I do this kind of gentle flippy-scoop thing with my hand and she ends up back in my palm again. I've wondered if it might be kind of a Sisyphus thing for her...you know, getting so close to "freedom" (or the top of the hill) and then having to start all over again, lol. Poor baby :)
I do have a question regarding food, but I'll go look for that thread...

Thanks again for the warm welcome :)

1.0 Hypo HetAnery (Kieran); 1.0 AneryMot HetDiffused (Daire); 0.1 Ultramel HetCharcoal&Mot (Gailleann); 1.0 Granite HetStripe (Michael); .0.0.1 SunglowMot (Gunn); 0.1 Pewter (Nicevenn)

I gather those are "types" of cornsnakes and their names, but to what do the numbers refer? ty :)

1.0 Hypo HetAnery (Kieran); 1.0 AneryMot HetDiffused (Daire); 0.1 Ultramel HetCharcoal&Mot (Gailleann); 1.0 Granite HetStripe (Michael); .0.0.1 SunglowMot (Gunn); 0.1 Pewter (Nicevenn)

I gather those are "types" of cornsnakes and their names, but to what do the numbers refer? ty :)

1.0 is the number of males
0.1 is the number of females
.001 is the number of unknown gender :)

great looking snake you got there!

as for his morph (yes, you did phrase that right) i would guess amel. his eye looked redosh/ pinkish in the picture, which is a trait of amels. normals normally have crimson-ish eyes with black pupils (see twister's progression thread, in my sig).

sounds like your doing all the right things. glad to have you on the forums!

great looking snake you got there!

as for his morph (yes, you did phrase that right) i would guess amel. his eye looked redosh/ pinkish in the picture, which is a trait of amels. normals normally have crimson-ish eyes with black pupils (see twister's progression thread, in my sig).

sounds like your doing all the right things. glad to have you on the forums!

Hi there and thank you for the welcome and the info :) I guess she's an amel, then, because her pupils are red, no black whatsoever.

Does that mean I can put "0.1 Amel (Scooter)" at the bottom of my posts? *grin*

And I will check out your thread, thanks for the link :)

"Does that mean I can put "0.1 Amel (Scooter)" at the bottom of my posts? *grin*"

LOL ok, I know I totally messed that up :-D nvm :)

Back