• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

iridescence and color changes from hatchlings to adulthood

IguanaMama

Love at first sight
As I've mentioned, I'm brand new to snakes so I have some questions that are probably so basic to you all. But I still haven't found the answers. And yes, I did get my AUTOGRAPHED copy of Love's Corn Snake Manual, it's GREAT!!!

One thing that I'm curious about is the spectacular iridescence on their underbellies. Is this common to all morphs or do some show it better than others? Does it continue through adulthood?

Also, I had no idea that the hatchlings change color as they mature. I stood at the breeder's table for an hour (while my family and friends snoozed in the corner) picking and choosing and picking and choosing what I thought were the prettiest colors. Now I find out, it's going to change. I ended up picking a Normal Motley. He's dark brick/marroonish with bright almost florescent yellow-orangish spots down his back and his face is mostly gray. I read that bloodreds have gray faces, but I don't think there is any bloodred in him. He must be het for anery though, because his sibling (who I also brought home) is anery. Does anyone have any good guesses what he will look like? Since he is Normal, will the dark marroon and florescent orange turn into the bright red and orange that typical normal corns look like? Will the gray on his face turn orange? I can't find a single picture of a Normal adult with a gray face. I want to know because I want to get a couple more snakes, but I don't want to end up with ones that look the same.

If I breed my motley anery to a motley amel will I get snows, or do I have to wait until F2? I've read conflicting info.

Thanks for all your help.

It can sometimes be difficult to tell what a hatchling will look like as an adult, and motleys can even be more so since the pattern sometimes gets indistinguishable in adults, especially normals. I've attached a pic of one of my normal motleys as a hatchling (about 4 months old) and now (2 1/2 yrs old). As for the gray on your snake's face, I'm not sure if it will stay that way or get more color as your snake grows.

If you breed an anery motley to an amel motley, and neither parent is het for the other trait, then all the offspring will be normal het for anery and amel (i.e. het for snow). If you get anery offspring, then you know that the amel is het for anery, if you get amel offspring, you know the anery is het for amel, and if you get snow offspring, then both parents are het for snow.

Thanks!

Gee that doesn't even look like the same snake. I guess I'll just have to be patient. I'm sure he'll turn out gorgeous and besides his personality can't be beat. He's both curious and calm, always peeping his adorable little head out at me.

Back