• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Irregular pooping?

Morticia

Hi guys, I'm kind of concerned about Seth's pooping.

At the moment, I'm feeding him every Saturday (living mice, 'cause over here in Belgium it's nearly impossible to buy frozen mice for his size) and he normally poops 2 times a week. Usually Tuesday and Thursday.

But since this Saturday he has pooped Monday, Tuesday and just a few minutes ago! Just now he even pooped twice and both times in very small amounts.

Now for my question: is this normal? Is it because I changed to living mice? Weather conditions? Basically I have NO idea about what could be causing this, or it's just me being a bit too concerned :)

Any tips, ideas?

Cheers

Irregular pooping? Wouldn't that be considered an oxymoron? :grin01:

Changing from frozen to live could be the cause. Frozen will digest faster than the live would, which could explain the multiple pooping that is occurring now.

Well the thing is that I've been feeding him live mice for over 5weeks now and the "irregular" pooping just started the last few days? :shrugs:

Morticia said:
Well the thing is that I've been feeding him live mice for over 5weeks now and the "irregular" pooping just started the last few days? :shrugs:

The thing about feeding live is the possibility of parasites from the prey item, which could cause the pooping issues.

Ok, so how will I be able to see if he has parasites? I used the search function and looks like most snakes with parasites refuse to eat, while Seth almost goes berserk whenever he sees a mouse and eats it right away!

Morticia said:
Ok, so how will I be able to see if he has parasites? I used the search function and looks like most snakes with parasites refuse to eat, while Seth almost goes berserk whenever he sees a mouse and eats it right away!

The only way to know for sure is to take a fresh poop sample to the vet for a fecal. There are other symptoms, but this is the only sure way.

Did you move up a food size. Example, small mouse to a large mouse. This might be a cause. :shrugs:

Lennycorn said:
Did you move up a food size. Example, small mouse to a large mouse. This might be a cause. :shrugs:

Well I did move up a size, but that was like 7 weeks ago when I started feeding live mice. We're gonna wait till tomorrow to see if he eats ok and take a fresh sample to the vet afterwards. Can this be any vet or does it have to be an someone who specializes in exotic pets?

Morticia said:
Well I did move up a size, but that was like 7 weeks ago when I started feeding live mice. We're gonna wait till tomorrow to see if he eats ok and take a fresh sample to the vet afterwards. Can this be any vet or does it have to be an someone who specializes in exotic pets?

A stool sample, I think, can go to any vet. Your just look for parasites.

Morticia said:
Can this be any vet or does it have to be an someone who specializes in exotic pets?

Actually I would just call around first, or ask people in your area that have used a vet with detailed knowledge of snakes...
not to mention, some vet will not even take a "snake" stool sample...

Back