• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is 23 gallon too much for a 2-3mo?

Matheus Garrido

Hi!

I want to provide a better viv to my Drake and I'm selling all my fishes from my 23 gallon aquarium (92 liters, idk if it checks but that's why google said).

I know that is not recomended to keep little snakes in big habitats, but why, exactly?

-Cleaning is not a big deal to me (so much easier than aquariums).

-Heating, I have a 15w diurnal and a 15w night heating lamps and also my DIY Heater. It should be an emergency thing but it's working so fine that I think I'll paint it and let it be the heater. Here you guys can see what I'm talking about: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141111

-The stress factor: that's what is really bothering me. Can I fix it adding a lot of hides? Can my snake live happy and grow as it should be living in such a big place?

My intentions here are let him be more "visual" to us when he want to, of course, without taking off his option of hiding; provide him a bigger home (at his actual home he can't even stretch his body) and let he live at his definitive home already BUT, above all these things, I want him to live a good, healthy and long life, so I'll listen to your good advices before I decide something.

I'm sorry if I'm harping the same string here, I hope we can have a good and useful discution :sobstory:.
I count on you guys and, if I wrote smtg wrong, please read my signature.
Bye!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a baby snake in a large tank. Remember that in the wild, they aren't confined to any space.

Babies do like to hide, however, so make sure to give lots of hides. I find that small, tight hides are usually preferred. Another thing I always recommend for babies is ground cover. Fake vines are a good option and they also make the tank look nice. You will actually end up seeing your baby more if you provide plenty of hides because he will feel secure enough to move around.

Does your aquarium have a good lid? Tanks made for reptiles usually have sliding, locking mesh lids which are nice and secure for a tiny snake. Since yours is an aquarium, you will have to find a very secure lid because snakes are really good escape artists and they can fit through much smaller holes than you'd think!

Great!! Now I'm really excited about move him there!

I'll provide at least 3 hides but I always find something nice to use as a hide, so, he will be fine.

No, my aquarium don't have a good lid yet, no for snakes, but I'll look for something. There's someway to install a sliding lid in a regular aquarium? Will the mesh block much light? If you have some tip or link, I'd appreciate it.

Tnks!

I guess you could also divide the tank into 2 sections. One section is 1/3 of the aquarium and the other section is 2/3. You can put him in the 1/3 section until he out-grows that then move him to the other section. After he out-grows that just remove the divider and he can use the whole aquarium.

I think 1/3 is virtually the same size of his actual viv... I'm putting together as much hides as I can and looking for good branches, I think he will be ok.

Thanks for your answer :)

but that's WHAT google said lol Matheus, go learn English

Ha ha, I always wonder who's being so mean to you about your English, and then realize it's you correcting yourself. Your mistakes are usually very small, and to be honest, I see far worse from English speaking people every day. Your English is good!

Chip, as a begginer with snakes in a country where they are an unusual pet, internet is my knowledge source about them. Therefore, I have to be very selective with all I read, and the advice about size restrictions was a bad one that I've followed. Now I see clearly how ridiculous it sounds, they are evolved to live free, how can a aquarium be too much for them, right?

albertagirl Hahahah... thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I get really proud everytime I receive a compliment of a native speaker, that's exactly what I'm looking for studying English almost everyday. I have to be cruel with me when I commit this kind of mistake, it's my way of learn hahah.

I also use an aquarium and I just use a reptile screen cover from the petstore. Then, I use these "c" shaped clips that are sold in the reptile aisle. I use about 6 (2 would probably be enough but I never want to deal with a lost snake :) ).

Back